💎 SIXTEEN / THE VILLAGE

Chapter Sixteen
The Village

      "The victim is a ten year old girl, missing as of last night at 11pm. Pilar Peters, African American, around one hundred and ten pounds, last seen wearing a green jacket, blue jeans and rain boots." Detective Young panned the photo of the young girl around the room of officers.

He pinned it to the board, next to the little known facts they had gathered so far about the case.

"Her foster parent, Marco Diallio owns Marco's Village down 22nd and Cumberland. It is a group home that has eight kids living there, two of which were walking with Pilar Peters before she disappeared. I think our best bet is to start with the kids, see if they have any idea where Pilar may have gone, or if they've seen anything weird the past few days." He continued. His eyes were heavy, mostly from the lack of sleep he had gotten the night before, but also due to the heaviness of the case.

     He hated working missing kids cases. He had only been on the force two years, and had his fair share of horror stories of the things that happened to those poor babies. But he would never speak on them. That was the dark part of his job. The light only crept in when justice had been served, a beaming streak that Jetson fought to see each time a case like this was thrown onto his desk.

"Young, I want you to go down to the group home with Cyrus and collect the statements. Nunez and Sanchez, take the photo and go see if anyone saw the kids last night before Pilar was snatched, or ran away." The Captain ordered as he stood to his feet, removing the picture from the board and passing it over to his detectives.

"Actually, Captain. I was thinking I could ride along with Detective Young to the group home." Salita stepped up, drawing all eyes to her. She knew what all the men in the room were thinking, but that was the last of her worries. She knew all about Marco's Village - the perfect home for little girls. Or as her and Isis used to call it, the monster's village. Where all their demons slept close, prowling on their backs at night, breathing in their ears. Once she got away from that place, she never looked back.

    The captain narrowed his brows, to which Salita quickly blurted out, "I just, know the area very well. I know a friend that actually went to the group home as a kid, so...maybe I could help." She smiled.

"Okay, in that case you're with Young. Cyrus, Nunez, hit the streets. Call me the first you hear of anything."

Jetson thought he was hip to why Salita wanted to ride along. She wanted to talk his ear off more about Isis, and what they hypothetically had. He wasn't in the mood.

"I'm not in the mood," He spoke his mind the moment Salita stepped into his presence, "So please, keep your theories in your head today okay?"

Salita shifted her hip to one side, her curves evident in the pants set she sported. It was no secret that she was a beautiful woman, anyone could see it. Even Jetson, but he knew better than to cross that line.

"Excuse me, my theories?" She pretended to be offended, "You mean the facts that I've —"

"Shhh." Jetson put a finger to his lips, next his coffee.

Salita giggled, "Fine, I'll hush for today. Can we go now, or do I have to watch you finish that trash ass Dunkin's coffee?"

Jetson cut his eyes jokingly, turning to his office to grab his keys and jacket. He wasn't looking forward to taking any statements, although it was a necessary step to finding Pilar before anything bad happened, if it hadn't already. He tried to keep that thought out of his head as he approached his office door.