14

"If you want something, you can always ask me," your step mother said from the other side of the door.

You flopped yourself on the bed, covering your face with a pillow.  You sighed for nth time.

Recalling what happened on your birthday, you enjoyed everything 'til you found out your mother died.

You rushed down and when you were near the morgue, your knees started shaking. You stopped and breathed heavily, trying to stop yourself from bursting into tears. You don't think you can handle it.

You asked a nurse where your mother could be and he lead you it. There, you were staring at a body covered in white cloth.

You bit your lips and fell to the floor. Sugawara crouched down, wrapping you with his arms. He buried your face on his neck as he caressed your back.

I wished I didn't celebrate my birthday at all. I wished I just went straight to the hospital. I wasn't even there on her last minutes. I didn't even know she was dying. I'm terrible. She probably hates me now.

"Mom? Who is she?" a little girl asked your step mother.

"She's your sister. You should get along with her but I think she's sleeping right now."

"It's the first time I see her, how did she become my sister?"

"She was in Japan. That's why you weren't able to see her."

"But why wasn't she here in States with us?"

"Uh... Because she studied there when you were still in mommy's tummy."

"Okay..."

The little girl is 4 years old and she doesn't have any idea of what's happening. Last month, they went to a different country called Japan and stayed there.

They went to the hospital few times and she met a sick lady. Now, she has a new sister. She experienced a lot but she's adapting well.

She turned the knob on your door and fortunately, it wasn't locked. You were hidden under covers but she still approached you. She lifted the blanket and so as the pillows.

"Why are you crying?" she asked you.

"Get out, please," you replied bitter. You sat up and turn your back on her.

You felt her hug you from behind. You wanted to shout at her and hit her for no reason but you can't. You were angry and you need something to vent it on.

"Mommy said that we should hug a sad person. Stop crying anymore. Mommy said everything will be alright." she said, patting your shoulders.

"Stop, please," you whispered on yourself.

"When I was sad because my pet gold fish died, mommy hugged me and said 'everything will be alright'. Then we rode an airplane and went to uhm... Japan?"

You gently remove her arms from your waist to face her. She wasn't bad after all. She's cute and nice and you can't get angry on her.

"I met a pretty lady and she was nice. Mommy said she was a friend but she's sick."

She's probably talking about mom. So they were the 'highschool friends' mom has been telling me.

"Mommy was right! Even though I lost Goldie, everything is alright now. I'm happy again! I'm happy I have a new sister!"

Your tears bursted. You thought you were out of tears since you can't cry properly on the day your mother was getting buried. You embraced her tight as she wrap her arms around you as well.

"We should play something so you wouldn't be sad anymore, okay? Let's play with my dolls."

You had no choice because she dragged you towards her room. You sat on the floor as she hands you a doll.

"You look like her. You're very pretty!" she smiled at you. "You can sleep with me whenever you want to but in exchange let me sleep in your room sometimes too!"

You nodded and started playing with her. You didn't forget how much it hurt but at least you felt a little happiness just by spending time with her.

Seems like your new family is composed of nice people. You were really happy they're treating you right. You had dinner with them and watched a film after.

When your step sister fell asleep, you decided to take your leave as well. However, they told you that they wanted to talk to you.

"Regarding your mother's death--"

"Please, don't. I'm sorry I really don't want to talk about it."

"No, I'm sorry for being insensitive," your father said.

"Anyways, your things are in the storage room. Do you want us to bring it to your room?" step mother.

"No, thank you. I'll look into it when I'm ready."

"Okay. About your school, we transferred you already but you can always tell us if you don't like it there. Or if someone bothers you. You can start anytime you want. We'll just talk to the dean."

"It's fine. I'm going on Monday."

"Really? Don't you want a vacation? We were actually planning to take you and Sam in a beach for few days."

"Sorry. But currently, I want to drown myself in loads of works so I'd be too busy to feel hurt."

"Okay. Next, we wanted to give this to you. Belated happy birthday, dear," they gave you a small box. Inside, is a heart pendant that when you open has a picture of you and your mom. "And this."

They gave you a paper folded which you assumed to be a letter. And yes you were right. It's a letter from your mother. It says:

≈•-- --•-- --•≈

Darling,

Thank you for existing in my life. You made my life happier. You were everything I had and everything I was thankful for. I always love you so I really hope you're proud that I'm your mother too.

Sorry for not being there when you need me. Sorry for not being responsible for every event in your life and sorry for barely raising you. I'm really happy you grew up being a nice lady even though I didn't contribute a lot on it.

About the things you always ask me, you can just ask your father. I'm too scared to tell you about my past. My wrong decisions and the worse outcomes. Maybe I'm too embarrass to share it to you. But if you're still curious, your father knows it all.

Be nicer and behave yourself when you arrive in states, okay? I'm not sure when are you going to read this but once you did, I'm definitely gone. So, promise me one thing, continue growing up happily, healthy and nice. I really wish you'd be successful in life, career and love even without me.

I love you, darling. I wish you'd still be my daughter in next life.

Signing out,
Mom.

≈•-- --•-- --•≈

You cried yourself out and hugged the paper. Your step mother slowly approached you with a hug, scared that you might decline it.

You fell asleep after getting tired from crying.