25; tangled knot

Priyanka sat in absolute silence in Carlisle's car as they drove from the hospital.

She was afraid to open her mouth, because if she did, she'd spew the dirtiest words, and possibly bite the man.

So in the midst of the thick, intangible air of awkwardness that reminded her of Charlie, Priyanka was left with herself.

Which was not the healthiest option.

She couldn't help but muse over the tangled knot that was Rochelle Stevens.

First, why the other girl had kissed her.

Second, why Priyanka had kissed her back.

And third, what the hell had happened in the hospital that chilly morning, Priyanka's last day.

The girl couldn't explain it, but she felt as though she was...obligated, maybe, to snap at Rochelle, and break her heart possibly.

The thing, though, was that because Rochelle was the knot that she was, Priyanka was stuck in the middle. And she couldn't figure herself out.

In the midst of this little identity crisis, Carlisle spoke for the first time, "Why?"

He sounded genuinely curious, and Priyanka was so out of herself that she found herself replying softly, "My mother. And- and my life."

Carlisle looked back at her, pale and ringed hand still on the steering wheel.

Even though his melted honey eyes were staring into her soul, the car didn't move an inch from the centre of the road.

Never one to back down from a challenge, Priyanka scowled back, deep pools of brown gazing back cooly.

Carlisle nodded, turning back around. Priyanka let a sigh of relief, and missed Carlisle's gentle smirk.

Sighing quietly to herself, Priyanka took the mental step forward. "How do you earn a doctorate in trauma?"

Albeit nervous, Priyanka refused to let herself stutter.

Carlisle blinked, surprised. He pulled up to the Cullen home, and Priyanka grasped the door to open it, raising her eyebrow when Carlisle locked the door.

"To earn a doctorate in trauma, Priyanka, you have to enroll in the doctor of professional psychology where you need to finish yourpre-doctoral internship, the last requirement before officially getting a degree. Then, a yearlong postdoc fellowship in the trauma disorders will follow," Carlisle rattled off surgically.

"The first step for prospective students is choosing the degree that matches their interests and careers. Then, you can start thinking about the option of a Psy.D. doctoral degree. At about four to six years in length, Psy.D. programs are shorter than Ph.D. programs, which tend to take five to seven years and emphasize clinical training over research."

Carlisle turned around again, to see Priyanka out of focus. "Does- does that mean I can still try to get a masters in trauma?"

There was a healthy glow in her eyes- like her soul had been stitched up. There were scars, but she'd be okay for a long time.

Carlisle smiled. "Yes. You can. If you want-" Priyanka looked up at him, "If you want, I can tutor you some days."

Priyanka smiled. "That," She exhaled, "That'd be great."

TESSA SPEAKS!
OH BOY AM I DRAGGING THESE UPDATES! SORRY GUYS, I JUST DO NOT FEEL THE BEST THESE DAYS. ANYWAY, HAPPY BLACK FRIDAY- ALSO, IN THE FUTURE, WOULD ANYONE WANT A BI-RACIAL STORY? IF SO, I'VE GOT A COUPLE IDEAS. HAVE A NICE DAY!