Mine

You walk over to the table, stomach-turning more than usual, your hands shake and your eyes wide with panic. Turn around, turn around. I can leave; they won't think it's suspicious. Yet, your feet keep carrying you to the table.

"You're here! Y/N, this is everyone, everyone this is Y/N," Blaise starts introducing you to the table. "This is Pansy—you obviously know Draco," Blaise says with a wink and a slight nudge to you. "Last but not least—okay, maybe least, this is Theo; he's unmemorable, though, so don't feel bad if you forget about him."

Oh, that won't be easy to do. Trust me. You think to yourself.

"Nice to meet everyone!" You smile at Pansy. She doesn't reciprocate the smile. Instead, she eyes you with suspicion; her green eyes take in your body.

You can see the man—Theo's face; his brows are furrowed and mouth agape. He definitely knows who I am. Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.

Draco stands to greet you, his hand around your waist, bringing you closer to the table. "Happy Birthday Draco." You whisper to him with a glimmer of mischief in your eyes. He blocks your view of the man, giving you a moment of delusional reassurance that maybe the man doesn't recognize you since he hasn't spoken a word since your arrival.

The man comes into focus, and his name feels weird on your tongue. "Theo," you stutter over what to say to him.

He is staring at you with a look of knowing in his eyes. Fuck, he definitely knows. You were hoping he didn't.

"I'll uh.....grab the next round. Theo, wanna help?" You say to the table, getting everyone's drink order. He nods, standing to follow you.

"You're a witch." He cuts to the point the second you are far enough away from the table.

You grab his arm, pulling him in closer to you as you continue to walk, "keep your voice down."

"You're not even going to deny it?"

You cross your arms over your chest as the two of you make your way across the room. "I could obliviate you, or you could make both our nights easier and keep quiet about it."

"Why, though? You know what he is—what all of us are... so why lie?" Theo furrows his brow, trying to understand the necessity of your lies.

"I- I have to...it's complicated. I have a history."

"Care to elaborate on 'history?'" He quizzes you.

"Not really. Just know they can't know... it puts too much in jeopardy." You deadpan while trying to keep your anxious stomach from hurling its contents across the floor. Ugh—I haven't even had a drink yet, and I'm already feeling nauseous? This should be a fun evening.

With Draco and Blaise working at the Ministry, it puts your entire plan at risk if they were to find out. Your whole cover relies on the ministry thinking you're just a relocated witch from the states. Granted, you're almost certain the Ministry had a hand in your adoption and a hand in keeping you in the dark for so long. MACUSA certainly had a hand in it.

You were putting your own life on the line, and your life relied on no interference from the Ministry.

As you approach the bar top, you let out a sigh in frustration at Theo's silence. You both put in orders as he leans against the counter, his arms crossed as he stares down at you. "Alright then, clumsy girl, keep your secrets."

That was too easy. You think to yourself, but you still can't bring yourself to completely trust him with your secret. "Why do I feel like there's going to be a 'but.'?"