Chapter 3 Beginnings

A sea mist drifted inland on a particularly dark night and enveloped a Southampton dockyard. A tea cutter with its tall masts and dirty off-white canvas sails casting a darker shadow, even at this late hour and the weather being so poor it still loomed over its birth. A grubby looking ship designed mainly it would appear for freight, saw a tall, dark and demonic looking man dressed all in black, disembark and step on to the gang plank, and then onto England's shores from Eastern Europe, he was followed by a young woman. From there they then travelled throughout the country, into Wales and Scotland, and on their travels, the man gained many followers.

As they only travelled during the night, none dared whisper about him, for fear they would summon him, those that did named him the demon of the night. In his wake he left only death, destruction and sadness. He was the first true Vampire, and the woman a Witch, his daylight protector.

He a tall dark haired, but pale looking man although he appeared refined, and well-dressed, a well-Spoken nobleman of Germanic extraction and she his first, his only, the only one he ever trusted to protect him whilst he slept away the day. He was revered were ever he went, and during his reign he had sired many Vampires and with each sire the soul of the fallen, became the property of Beelzebub. Vampires were, in some cases three times stronger than humans, and could only be killed by exposure to the sun or by having a Wooden stake driven directly into the heart. Anywhere else would injure them but not Kill, and whilst garlic did indeed cause a Vampire again some discomfort it was by no means an effective weapon on its own.

Humans had eventually over time realised that if you met a Witch she would invariably be accompanied by a Vampire and that they were doomed. some of the stronger and more agile humans could indeed give a Vampire a run for its money, but these events were few and far between and the outcome usually favoured the Vampire, as it was in the Witches interest to make sure the Vampire came out the winner of any such encounter. Becoming immediately linked to that Vampire and to Satan, encouraging the Vampire to kill and to keep giving souls to the devil. On the very odd occasion that a Vampire, whilst attacking a human, found themselves on the back foot as it were, and then fell prey to humans instead the Witch too would become a victim. They would be transported back to the dimension know to them only as middle wood a dimension within dimensions, a cold, desolate and lonely place with no magic and no connection what so ever with anyone else, another Witch could be standing right next to them and neither would be any the wiser, it was truly one of the most demonic things that the devil could have done in order to ensure a Witch's obedience.

17-year-old George Jackson was a rugged, muscular and tanned young farmer of no real consequence, he spent his life, tending the land owned by his family, and kept his livestock. The only other thing he knew was, Vampires. He had, it appeared, spent his young life surviving his encounters with Vampires and fighting them off, himself and his family. He lived in a farmhouse with, his mother Arabella, farther Harris and sister Lucy, the farm were George lived, was at the centre of the hamlet of Loxwood, about ten miles from the town of Guildford in the county of Surrey.

"Do you think we will always be together" said Ruby. It was an autumn evening, the air rich with the sweet scent of freshly scythed grass some bunched to form hay bales to feed the animals during the winter and the remainder covering the ground allowing the sun to dry it before being baled. The last vestiges of buzzing midges being picked out by the light of the setting sun. they lay on the freshly scythed grass in a hay field watching the sun as it slowly sank out of sight. looking deep into Ruby's eyes, "I know my answer to that question, but what is important, is what your answer would be." said George

"I asked first" Ruby stated George turned away from her to look across the field and then he turned back and took her head gently between his giant shovel like hands. "Ruby" he said with an intense reverence to his voice,