Chapter 5

"John? Who is John?" Dean said with a puzzled look.

"I have to go, I have to get out of here. He'll find me, he'll kill me!" Sydney said sobbing as she frantically went to packing her things.

"Wait a minute now. Hold on a second. Calm down and tell me what's going on" Dean said as he took Sydney into a hug.

Sydney sat down on the bed with Dean and told him everything. How John had held her captive for over a month, how he would beat her every single night. How she stabbed him in the neck with his own pocket knife, and how she had been running from him for 2 years. How he had sent people to find her and she had been going from city to city. How she hadn't talked to her family since the day she ran from the basement. How she had called her mother once, but when her mom picked up the phone and said hello she hung up.

Dean sat back. Stunned. "Sydney, how? Why? Dear Jesus" was all Dean could seem to manage to get out. "I don't know what to say"

"There is nothing to say, I have to go. He said he knows where I am and he will find me" Sydney said as she stood up. "He must have found my number from the one time I called my mom, I've been getting a few hang up calls for over a month now" Sydney said as she went back to packing her things.

"Wait! Just wait! Give me a minute here!" Dean said in a raised voice. "You can't keep doing this, there has to be something you can do, call the cops"

"And they will do what, slap him with a restraining order? Do you really think that will stop him?" Sydney said.

"But you can't just keep running your whole life" Dean said as he took Sydney by the arm. "Wait. Just give me a week"

"I don't have a week, I have to leave now, I can't take the chance of him finding me again" Sydney said through tears.

"Give me 2 days then, can you do that?" Dean questioned.

"I really don't want to.." Sydney said

"Please, let me try and help you" Dean said.

"Ok, 2 days, but I can't leave the house, the last time he found me I was at work, and he made a whole big scene, and I had to escape out the back door while my manager tried getting him to leave the store." Sydney said

"Thank you, just 2 days" Dean said as he hugged Sydney right. "I'm so sorry you have to go through this, I can't even imagine. It really makes my Nicole problem seem frivolous" Dean said with a laugh.

Sydney smiled.

Sydney didn't sleep at all last night. She was in constant fear. Even though Dean assured her that no one was getting in to their apartment, it didn't make her feel any better.

She called Lily and asked if she could cover her shift, and told her that she may have to leave town.

"What on earth for you just got here" Lily asked.

"I have an angry ex, and I'd just rather not deal with him right now" was all Sydney told her.

"So your gonna let him run you out of town?" Lily replied

"He is a pretty scary guy, I don't know what he is capable of" Sydney choked out.

Lily could hear the desperation in Sydney's voice. As a battered woman herself from a previous relationship, Lily knew the signs. "Honey, go to the cops. Don't let this man take away from life, don't let him control you"

"Thanks Lily, but if I don't show up for work, you know why, tell Frank thanks for everything he has done for me" Sydney said through a few years.

"Alright honey, best of luck" Lily said as she hung up.

Sydney hated saying goodbye. She had done it so much in the past 2 years. She didn't even like making friends because she knew eventually she would have to say goodbye. She only made friends with the people she worked with, and now Dean. He was such a nice man, she could definitely see the great man her mother saw.

Dean had been on the phone all morning, talking to someone, who, she didn't know. She made herself busy by playing with the dogs, she loved animals. She lived on a farm as a child and would not have wanted to grow up any other way.

Dean finally got off the phone. "I need you to do something for me, Sydney. Because I have done something for you" Dean told her.

"What did you do, and what do you want me to do" Sydney replied.

"What I did we can talk about later. Sydney, I want you to call your Mom" Dean said.