Chapter 10

Sydney was devastated. John had taken yet another person she cared about. She was sobbing so hard when the guy came up to her.

"Ticket Please!" The man said as he looked at her. "Are you alright miss?" He asked her.

"I.. I.... I dont have a ticket" Sydney replied.

"Yes, ma'am you do, it's sticking out of your pocket" the man said.

Sydney looked down and not only was her train ticket there, but the envelope with the $1000, address for the girl she was supposed to meet, and a baggage claim ticket all in a tall bag. Dean must have put it in her pocket before he rushed John. She sobbed even more as she handed him her ticket so he could stamp it.

"Thank you, ma'am, and I do hope you are alright" the man said as he laid his hand on her shoulder before walking away.

Sydney fell into the nearest seat, put her head in her hands and cried. Dean was the nicest person she had met in 2 years. She had never had anyone offer to help her the way he had. She pulled the stuff from her pocket to look through it. He had apparently put her baggage on the train already, which she was grateful for. Many times she had ran and had to leave everything behind. She dug deeper. There was a brand new cell phone with a note attached with a rubberband.

Here is a new phone with a new number

Take care
Dean

Her eyes filled with tears again. She laid her head againest the window, and cried herself to sleep.

"Last stop" the ticket guy yelled, waking her up. "Last stop, miss" he said to her.

"Where are we?" Sydney questioned.

"Getting ready to pull into Chicago Union Staion, ma'am." He said with a smile.

I slept the whole way!

Sydney frantically stood up, pulled out the cell phone and dialed. "Hello, is this Rose?"

"It is if you're Sydney" Rose said in a think British accent. "I'm at the train station, are you here?"

"We are pulling in now, I think" Sydney replied.

"Ok. I'll meet you at the ticket counter in 10 minutes, ok?" Rose said.

"Ok." Sydney said as she hung up the phone.

Sydney got up and walked to the exit, just as the train pulled into the station. After the train came to a stop, Sydney got off and handed the baggage claim ticket to the baggage attendant, who checked it and have her her bags.

"Hope you have a fun time in the Windy City, ma'am" the man said.

"Thank you" Sydney replied.

She headed for the ticket counter to wait for Rose. She sat on a bench and took out the new phone. She wanted so bad to be able to call Dean and tell her she made it, but she knew she couldn't.

"Hello, are you Sydney? I'm Rose" a blonde woman said to her.

"Yes, hello" Sydney replied.

"Let's get out of here shall we?" Rose asked.

Sydney got up and followed her to her car. She had no idea where she was going, but she was grateful she wasn't alone.

"So, Dean told me to look out for you, that you had a sketchy ex that won't leave you alone, that right" Rose questioned.

"Yes, but it's a little more complicated then that" Sydney said.

"Dean, he didn't really go into any details, said it wasn't his story to tell, care to share?" Rose asked.

Sydney took the car ride to tell her story. When she finished, all Rose could say was "oh, you poor girl" like she hadn't heard that before.

"Well, fresh start, yes? This is us" she said as they pulled into a gorgeous white house with blue shutters and a big oak tree in the front yard.

"Wow, it's been a while since I've lived in an actually house, I really appreciate this, thank you for letting me stay until I find a place"

"Oh, girly, after that story, you're not going anywhere, you can stay with me" Rose said.

"Oh I couldn't do that, I don't want to impose" Sydney said.

"Nonsense, besides I don't like being by myself anyhow, my husband is away a lot" Rose replied.

"Oh, what does your husband do" Sydney asked.

"He's a doctor" Rose replied with a smile.