Chapter Thirty Six

With everything loaded up, John and Denise rode with their mother. John hated saying bye to Michael he had a feeling it was going to be a long time before he sees him again. Sighing John placed one ear bud in his ear and flipped through his music. Taking the piece out of his ear again he gently placed it in his pocket. He wasn't in the mood.
Making their way down the mountain John kept his sights on the sphere, finally he asked. "Mom, are we the only ones that see it or are we going to get home with a bunch of people screaming it's the end of the world?"
"They do that already John." She chuckled. "No but really only people with abilities are subliminally aware of the contradiction. So basically only people like us."
"Mom." Brianna interrupted. "Can we stop up ahead when you find a turn off?"
"Sure Brie."
"What for?" Denise asked from the front seat.
"You know, now that you know about your siblings I will teach you something."
"What's that?" he asked quickly before Denise could voice herself with the same question.
"Don't ask. If Brianna asks to stop, don't ask why. It will become clear after we stop."
"Ah, I see." John chuckled. "We will find out in time."
"Exactly." His mom finished.
Sitting back John thought about all the events that had transpired, suddenly a sick feeling hit him. "Oh shit."
"What is it?" His mom eyed him suspiciously in the rear view mirror.
"We totally forgot about those other guys. You know the ones with Alex."
"Oh shit we did!" Denise agreed.
"No we didn't."
Looking at his mom confused he said. "We didn't? They're not here I mean we just left them there."
"So what." His mom peered at him. "I mean I really don't care they're not my fucking problem."
"Are you saying that because they tried to kill your kids?" Denise asked.
"Well that and they're seriously not my problem. They'll find their way and to be honest, they're lucky to be alive." Finding a turn off, she stated. "Ok Brianna do your thing."
"Thanks mom." The girl stated looking at John patiently.
"What?" he asked.
"Really John, open your door and let me out."
"Well shit, you could've said something, instead of eyeing me like I'm supposed to read your mind."
He opened his door and watched as Brianna got out and stepped in front of the car. Taking her tiny hands she pinched her fingers together and drew an invisible line straight from her head to her feet. Smiling back at them she placed her arm through it followed by the rest of her body, disappearing from sight.
"Oh what the fuck?" John said.
Quickly she emerged and headed back in the car climbing over John and resuming her spot back in the middle.
"What the hell B. What did you do?" he asked confusingly.
"You'll see." She said peering at something in her tiny hand, she took Johns hand and placed it in the center.
He looked at it puzzled. It was about the size of a quarter with one blinking red light. "What's this?"
"A tracking device." She said, looking to her mother.
"Hmm… interesting Brie." She stated. "John I think she wants you to destroy it."
"Yup." Brianna agreed. "Burn it Johnny."
"Umm… ok."
As his mother began pulling away John placed one ear bud in his ear and began his music. With the final thought he could feel the small device melting in the palm of his hand.
"You want me to throw it out the window?" he asked.
The girl nodded and John looked at it one more time, and tossed it.
"Why would there be a tracking device on our car?" John asked.
"Really John?" Brianna chuckled. "Sometimes brother."
"I get it. I will find out in time right?"
Denise laughed from the front seat. "Yea brother I think you got it."
"Whatever." He said, and proceeded to turn up the music.
                          ***
Taking the small child Michael could feel his heart sink as he watched April and the kids leave. "I'm going to miss them." He thought.
Heading to his car the non-existent child had more life in him than Michael has ever seen. He even had color to his face. His eyes were no longer shallow and sunken in, but the grey remained. Buckling himself in, he turned out to the main road. The first thing he would do is bring the older Graham and younger one together. Then he would take the older Graham with him and go on the long pursuit for his mother. Where to look, he had no idea. How to start, again clueless. He stepped on the gas going over the speed limit. It was time to put his plan into action.