Chapter Eighteen

Grabbing one of his bags, Alex quickly chose a few personal belongings, a weeks' worth of clothing, and headed out the door. Sitting back behind the wheel of his car he took out his cell phone.
After a few rings, on the other end of the phone a young man answered. "Hey, Walter how's it going. You never call me is everything ok?"
"Of course why wouldn't it be?" Alex replied. He never included his best friend on his adventures, and when Alex funded him he never asked what the money was used for. He made sure as well, not to let his friend know he changed his name shortly after he was awoken. He was Walter to him, he would always be Walter, the rich entrepreneur who inherited a small fortune in the wake of his parent's death.
"So how's the FIJI? Still the best?"
"None better." Alex replied. "Actually Mike, I was calling you to let you know I'm heading out of town and I will have absolutely no access to my funds, I wanted to make sure you're straight bro."
Even though he had no need for the caution, Alex would not use any of his cards during this trip. He felt cash would be his best option, in the event however small it would be, if anything came back to him. Paper doesn't leave a trail.
"No access to your own money, why?"
"Personal choice." He stated knowing nothing would be asked past that. Growing up together they had their own lingo, to make sure never to tread on the others private affairs. That was the reason he could still hold onto this friendship even after his change, plus Mike intrigued him. Hard to kill someone who had so many interesting ideas. Before allowing his mind to wander he asked. "So are you set or you need me to make a deposit?"
"Um…. I should be good on money although I do have something pretty big coming up myself."
"May I ask what that might be?"
"Well, actually um….. It's my personal choice to keep it on the down low. But when I get back up there bro I will happily fill you in."
"I'm holding you to that brother. When I get to the bank I will be sure to make a deposit."
"Sounds good."
Ending the call, he started the engine and made his way to the bank. After the bank he would head to the nearest convenient store pick up his FIJI water, road atlas, and some small snacks to keep his hunger down for his long drive. After that….. Oregon.
                               ***
Hanging up his cell, Michael called out to Denise as she left his car. "Denise."
"Ya?" she answered. Helping her brother with his back pack.
"You know what might distract your mom from you two ditching today?"
"I don't think there is anything." John stated, closing his door and accepting his back pack from his sister.
"Actually there is John." Turning back to the girl he said. "Have her call and invite me over for dinner."
Confused Denise asked. "How's that help?"
"Well think about it. The first time I came here was on a bull shit reason, she knows that."
He chuckled. "So at the same time she catches you two in your bull shit, well we catch her in hers."
John and Denise looked at each other and smiled. "Good idea." She said and proceeded into the house with John following behind her.
Dropping his pack John quickly turned around and headed back toward Michaels car. "Hey, is he coming?"
Forgetting about the frail boy, Michael answered. "You know, probably just make plans for him as well."
"Got it."  The boy said as he ran back to his sister who was holding the door for him.
After the two were inside Michael took off. He didn't feel the need to return to the library for the dictionary he planned on stealing. Somehow with his abilities things work the way they need to, so he was sure he got everything of value out of the library when he encountered John and Denise.
Instead while he had time he decided to go home and take a shower. Looking forward to the small amount of normal that could come from the situation, he quickly raced home.