Chapter 9: Central

I headed for the train, Havoc and Fuery were there as well.

"Hey." Havoc said and he waved me over.

"Luna it's good to see you." Fuery said shyly.

"But what are you doing here?" He asked confusedly, I was absent when he had told the rest of the crew about the move.

"She's coming to central." A voice said from behind, it belonged to the Colonel.

"Mustang, I thought you didn't take the train." I said to him.

"I do now." He said and he boarded the locomotive.

We all squeezed into the compartment, I was next to Havoc, and Fuery next to the Colonel.

"Lieutenant have you been to central before." Havoc asked.

"Yeah." I said, the homonculi were there, and their presence always made me feel uneasy.

"Havoc you look sad, are you ok?" I said, he wasn't as cheerful as he usually was.

"No, Mustang made me dump my girl because of the transfer." Havoc said and he sighed.

"It was either her or me, and you know that I wasn't going to give you a choice." Mustang said jokingly, I stared at him, he looked so calm as always.

"Mustang your too cruel." I said jokingly. He seemed offended by it though.

Havoc whispered something to me:

"You still like the Colonel right?" He asked.

"Yes, but shh, he doesn't know." I said shyly.

"Ok then." Havoc said with a smile. 

The train pulled into the station at Central. It was much larger than the one in East City.

The three of us headed to Central Command and got settled, the office was almost identical to the one in East City. The amount of paperwork had doubled though.

Time Skip to Tomorrow

I had an errand to run involving the library, so I headed out. I made it to the room, there was a lady there, she said her name was Sheska. She showed me inside and helped me find the documents that I needed.

I looked at the thousands of books and important documents, but there was one in particular that caught my eye. It was a book of records with all the military personnel who had fought in the ishvalin war, there was also kill estimates and other stats on the alchemists. I grabbed the book and looked for the Colonels name, there was still so much that I didn't know about him.

"Roy Mustang." I said as I slid my finger down the long list of names.

"Here it is, page 349." I said, I turned to the page and began reading.

The document mentioned Mustangs rank during the war, and his type of alchemy along with the transmutation circle that he used. There was a brief summary of what he had done and an estimate of how many people he had killed during the incident. 

I knew that the war was depressing, but I never knew the full scale of it. It wasn't a war at all, just a completely devastating occurrence. A one sided blood bath that would leave a stain on Amestris for years to come.

I had always heard of this dark side of the state alchemists, it made sense why the people hate them so much. Even so, I know that Mustang and the others mean well, after all, they were just following orders. There were more gruesome people in this world than the state alchemist, I used to be one of them, and in a way I still was.

"Redfield, why are you reading that." Mustang said, I was so lost in thought that I hadn't even noticed that he had been standing behind me for the past two minutes.

"I-, I'm sorry sir." I said, I immediately stood up and soluted him.

"It's alright, now you know the truth about the state alchemists, and me." Mustang said sadly.

"The truth." I said, I was still confused.

"Redfield, I have committed so many crimes, it amazes me that you still wear a smile when I enter the room. I'm just a dog of the military, and a political monster." Mustang said, he had a smile but it was shallow.

"Your not a monster Colonel, trust me, I've seen a lot of things in my day." I said sternly.

"What do you mean by that Lieutenant." The Colonel asked, I guess I had revealed too much again.

"It's nothing, I've just been through a lot that's all." I said shyly.

I grabbed the items that I had originally came for and I headed out of the library. I had to watch out, I couldn't reveal anything abounds  the homonculi or anything about me as well.

I headed to the office and sat back in my chair, reading about the war reminded me of my younger days. What Mustang had said, about the state alchemists, it intrigued me. They werent the monsters, it was the higher ups who were. 

I didn't know the truth that well, but I deduced that the homonculi were behind the war, it was the only reasonable conclusion. Bradley was planning some big scheme, and I couldn't shake the feeling that it was all going to unravel before our eyes. I want to tell the Colonel about the government, he's the only one who would do something about it, but I need the right opportunity. I'll have to sit by for now, but it won't be as easy now.