Chapter 1. Preface

i stared at the letter in my hands for what felt like forever.

i've wanted to go to Arizona State University ever since i started highschool and now my fate was in this envelope.

taking a deep breath i call my boyfriend.

he answers on the second ring.

"hey baby", he says through the phone.

"hey dani", i reply. "i got my letter".

"i'll be over in five", he says before hanging up the phone.

well okay then. i laugh to myself.

Daniel, my boyfriend of almost 4years, made a promise to me that we'd open our letters together once we got them.

he had gotten his first and wanted to wait for me to get mine to see what they said.

not even five minutes later i hear footsteps coming up the steps.

my bedroom door opens and in walks my boyfriend, holding his letter.

he had applied to Florida State University and we told eachother that if we were to get accepted, we wouldn't be together anymore.

it was scary mostly because he's all i'd known
for almost four years but i couldn't do long distance so this was the only way.

"hey love", he says kissing me.

"hey", i smile.

"are you ready to do this?", he asks after a while.

i nod my head.

this was it.

"let's do it", i say. taking a deep breath, as i try to rip open the letter, it brought back the conversation we had when we were applying.

"what if we get into our dream college?" i asked him.

he huffs and slings his arm over my shoulder kissing my cheek. "we can't do long distance it'll be too hard" he says.

he's right.

i look away from him.

"Then we break up."

"I got in!" Daniel yells breaking me from the memory.

I hurry and open my letter and read through it.

"I got in too."

immediately he hugs me, tight.

"i'm so proud of you", i whisper into his shoulder.

"we're going to be okay, jess", he tells me.

a few tears fall from my face and i sniffle.

"you know we can't do long distance, daniel", i say pulling away from him.

he sighs.

"i know. but i don't think i'm strong enough to let you go", he says his eyes watery too.

"this is the only way. we'll still be friends and we'll keep in touch", i say trying not to cry.

he nods hugging me again.

"i'm going to miss you so much", he says kissing my neck.

i sigh.

"i'm going to miss you too", i whisper.

after we had our moment, daniel and i spend the day hanging out before saying goodbye to eachother.

i had to start packing since i had to be at the University early for orientation.

i didn't have to leave for a few weeks but i wanted to be ready.

this was a new beginning for me and i don't know if i was ready for it.