Chapter 27

Before Mikhail left, he informed me that Prince Ivan wanted me to have breakfast with him.

After I finished my morning cup of tea, I made my way to the dining room.

When I entered the dining room, Prince Ivan was sitting at the foot of the table. Waiting for me.

"G-Good morning," I went to go sit down next to him on his left.

"Good morning, Kathleen," He said as a few butlers came in with our breakfast. "How are you feeling today?" He added once we began to eat.

Completely and utterly not myself.

"I've been better," I admitted.

We ate our breakfast in silence.

The uncertainty feeling that I felt earlier this morning came back as I ate.

"I think I should go back to Nobel Michel," I blurted out.

Prince Ivan stopped eating, and looked at me with a serious look on his face.

"What?" He was caught off guard by what I had just said.

If I was being honest, I caught myself off guard just now as well. What I had just said, it just came out without me even really thinking.

"Maybe taking a break...would be good," I shrugged, blinking back tears.

But what I really wanted to tell Prince Ivan was, that I wasn't good enough for him.

Then, Prince Ivan stood up and slammed his hands against the dining table.

I jumped from the loud "bang" that came after.

"Take a break?" He stared into my eyes, his blue eyes ice cold. "What's gotten into you, Kathleen?"

"I—" Tears were running down my face at this point. "I just think it's for the best...since I've been sick lately and..." I trailed off and just shrugged.

My heart clenched at the excuses that I was giving Prince Ivan.

He knew what I was saying was nonsense.

I was just hiding the real truth.

Hiding this feeling of uncertainty, and how I haven't been feeling like I was good enough for him.

"No," He said after what seemed like eternity. "You're not leaving, especially not after getting injured."

"Even if I'm unhappy here?" I said, lying right through my teeth. "Even if I— won't ever love you?"

You're so stupid, Kathleen, I thought to myself as Prince Ivan glared at me.

He knew what I said were all lies.

"Do whatever you want," He said in a dismissive tone. "And to think, I wasted my time on you."

After he left the dining room, I broke down crying.

Every tear hurt my fracture, but that was the least of my worries.

I loved Prince Ivan, but I couldn't push away the feelings that I was feeling.

"I really am stupid," I whispered to myself as I staggered to my feet.

Leaving Sanct Sybil.

The Fortress.

Prince Ivan.

It was the most difficult thing that I had done in my life.

But was it really for the best?