Prologue

NEW YORK CITY, 2016

Graduation dinner with his parents was over. They already went up to their rooms and would be retiring for the night. Jeon was still wearing the suit he had on for his graduation, his long hair slicked back, his hands cold and clammy with excitement.

This was his first date with Jia.

Well, not really a formal date because they weren't a couple, they were just friends. Up to this point, he had kept his feelings secret, knowing that they both needed to focus on their academic requirements for completion of their senior year.

Yet, he could tell that Jia liked him back. She was clingy with him, wasn't like that with anyone else, and that made him feel good. He also noticed how she gets uneasy when girls talk to him longer than necessary or find excuses to touch him.

He was her rock whenever she needed him.

So many guys tried but failed to win her over. She turned them all down, not wanting to lose focus on keeping her scholarship. Jia was often accused of leading them on because she was nice to them but firm about not wanting to have a relationship. This caused a few to badmouth her, to say she liked stringing them along, and it bothered her. Jeon was always there for her when she needed to vent. 

He stepped out of the hotel and walked a little way to the restaurant where they agreed to meet. She was already inside when he walked in. Her hair was loose and wavy, her black dress hugged her body nicely. 

Waving to him excitedly, she stood up as he approached and threw her arms around him, her weight slightly tipping him off-balance

"Congratulations Director Jeon! We made it!"

"Whoa, easy. Congratulations too, Jia!"

He cupped her face with his hands and smiled at her. Her cheeks were slightly flushed, her eyes sparkling.

"You look like a girl today," He teased and laughed, dodging a blow from her.

"Idiot, I dress for the right occasion."

"Kidding aside, you do look good," He said staring a little too intensely at her, making her fidget.

Jeon was a sight to behold as well. His broad shoulders looked good in his coat, the excellent cut of his suit made him turn heads when he walked in.