Natsu - The End

The castle has been getting attacked more and more recently and we've had to relocate to the tunnels. Our forces are dwindling while theirs grow. I want to go out there and join in the fight but that would mean leaving my wife and our children defenseless. Lucy had just given birth to our son Akio, so she was still extremely weak. I was holding Akio in my arms when the attack started, I didn't want to but Lucy told me to run, to get him somewhere safe, so I ran. Nashi and Luke both refused to leave their mother and insisted that I keep their younger brother safe. 

I moved quickly through the tunnels, through the new additions we had added in case we needed a quick escape. They lead to multiple different points in the forest that surrounded the kingdom, but one tunnel specifically went as far as the old borders, in the very clearing that Lucy and I had met in all those years ago. Lucy and I were the only ones who knew about this tunnel, we were afraid that there were traitors in our ranks. 

I opened the end of the passageway with a simple spell, then after we were out, I closed it off. I rushed through the forest until I reached an oddly familiar cave. Suddenly, I heard footsteps behind me and ran into the cave, pressing myself up against the wall and out of sight. I watched as the men and women rushed past me, yelling that I couldn't be this far out. I didn't let even a single breath escape my lips until I could no longer hear their footsteps or voices. 

Suddenly, a voice came from behind me, scaring me half to death.

"Who are you and what are you doing in my home?" the oddly familiar voice asked. I turned around to face whoever or whatever was behind me. I was surprised to find that I was staring into the eyes of a large, blood-red dragon. I suddenly remembered the photo I had found at the castle. This must be Igneel.

"Are you Igneel?" I asked. 

"Yes, that is my name. Do you understand me?"

"Yeah. Is that unusual?"

"Only the royal demon family can understand me. I am the demon realm's ancient protector, Fire Dragon King Igneel. May I know your name?"

"My name is Natsu Dragneel. I believe that you are the one I am supposed to meet." 

"What are you doing here, Son of Fea and Hunt Dragneel?"

I pulled my sleeping son away from my body, showing the small bundle to the ancient dragon. He sniffed my son's hair and then spoke softly. "You need my help protecting him, don't you?" 

"Yes. I lost my wife and children in the attack, he's the only one of us left, he needs to live on."

"Ah, so the prophecy finally rears its ugly head. I assume that you have dragon slayer magic?" I nodded. "Then I will help you protect him. If he survives, he will live a very long life. I assume your mate was the daughter of Jude and Layla Heartfillia? Lucy, if I remember correctly."

"Yes, that was her name."

"You felt her die, didn't you?" 

I simply nodded in response. 

"You and your son will live with me until he is of age, then he will learn dragon slayer magic. We will protect him together. You will raise him as your son, and I will teach him his magic. For now, I will teach you more about your magic."