23: The Greatest Plan

"Straight ahead." You spoke. In the drivers seat of the car you sat in, Marina nodded, driving. She stopped as the road came to an end, and you got out, looking out to the endless ocean this side of the city.

  "So, this is where you operate?" Marina asked, stepping out. You nodded, grabbing an earpiece from your pocket. You put it into your right ear, before grabbing a signal generator. The symbol carved on this was beta.

  You pulled the tab on the generator, tossing it into the water.

  "Beta, follow." You spoke. After a few seconds, a dark shape moved in the water, stopping where the generator hit the water.

  "Surface." You ordered. The shape grew larger, until the glass windshield of Beta burst through the water. You looked towards Marina, gesturing for her to look. She peered over the edge, into the deadly water, catching her first actual look at a Seamoth.

  "So that..." you pulled her back before she could fall into the water.

  "That's what destroyed the base of that statue you were fighting with 8. Well, that times eleven." You told her.

  "And you just command them all with voice controls?" Marina asked. You tapped the earpiece.

  "It sucked, but I designed it myself." You told her.

  "So, you designed the remote control all by yourself? I... didn't know you were an engineer." Marina stated. You shook your head, speaking into the earpiece.

  "Beta, sink five meters." You ordered. You watched the vehicle disappear, before turning the earpiece off.

  "I had almost four and a half years to myself. I've taught myself a few.... talents in the time." You revealed.

  "Like storytelling?" Marina questioned. You shook your head, opening the car door again.

  "That was just me telling 8 a story. Anyways, you saw a vehicle that was part of the force that helped you. Additional questions can be asked in the car." You insisted.

"Yeah, yeah. Got it." Marina told you. You both got in, before Marina started the engine up. After a moment, you were both cruising towards the Pygmy Mansion.

"So, Y/n, if you don't mind me asking..." Marina started. You didn't respond, which seemed to bring a nervous air to the vehicle, Marina gulped before continuing.

"Um... during the fight with that phone, Tartar, I heard him call you... something. It was... As-"

"Don't say her name." You interrupted.

"Oh, yeah. You were really... adamant on Tartar not saying her name. Why is that?" Marina questioned.

"...there are two things I really hate." You stated.

"So, one is waking up somewhere you didn't fall asleep, and the other is people saying her name?" Marina asked. You leaned your head on your hand, an old sadness beginning to well up inside of you.

"Her name brings back memories. Pleasant, Unpleasant, something. Besides, she's not just some ordinary person, so why should anyone get to just make offhanded remarks about her like she was?" Your voice was beginning to shake, which did not go unnoticed.

"I...okay. It's okay. Don't worry about it." Marina assured you.

"Yeah, thanks." You almost whispered. You stared at yourself in the rear view mirror as Marina kept driving. The silence between you two persisted for a moment, before Marina reached for the radio, pressing the power button.

Your already poor mood was almost completely ruined when the Calamari Inktation played first thing. Inversely, Marina had started to smile, humming along. You let her, opting to suffer in silence instead.