2 - "All Things Must Die"

It was a lovely day outside as I strolled the garden. Just because I was trained to show no emotion, doesn't mean I can't appreciate beauty. I admired the park, scanning my eyes across the small crowd, listening for any thoughts that might help me identify the owner of the phone I was tasked with bugging.

'-Hydra agents around.' 

My ears pricked up at that, but I kept my eyes down, running my hands through the cool water of the fountain in front of me. Calmly, I withdrew my hand from the clear waters, drying them on the light scarf around my neck. I was wearing lightly colored clothing, matching the weather so as to not stand out. The sun shone brightly, but the air was rebellious, chilling and brisk. I pulled my warm gloves back on, looking up and smiling. However, my face did not reflect my heart, as my heart matched the air; cold as stone. I walked around the fountain, looking for the owner of the thoughts I heard. 

'When will that bloody fool get here? It's cold and I forgot my gloves.'

'Thank you for that' I thought to myself. There was only one man without gloves. He was looking around impatiently, tapping his foot on the stones below the bench he was sitting on. 'A bit obvious, are we?' I kept my focus on him, but let my eyes wander. I knew just how to complete my mission. Taking the map of the park out of my pocket, I looked at it for a while, then gave a satisfied smile. I took a fake phone I was given, and pretended to try to use it. I frowned, then looked up with a helpless smile on my face. Looking at my target, I walked over to him.

"Excuse me, sir, I need to call my mother and my phone died. Might I use yours?" I matched the British accent he used in his thoughts to make him feel more comfortable around me.

"A fellow Brit, huh? Well, I'd be glad to help a fellow countryman." He smiled and dug his phone out of his pocket, then held it out to me.

"Thank you, sir!" I smiled, taking the phone. I went to call the number I memorized from my file, the number that, once dialed, would allow me to remotely access any information on his phone. I called the number, and heard someone answer. "Hello, Mum?"

"Reading you loud and clear, Agent Erinnerung" General said. 

"Oh good, it's you. So, Mum, I'm at the fountain, and I'll head to your office as soon as I hang up." I twirled by hair in an attempt to look more innocent. Out of the corner of my eye the man smiled.

"Ten more seconds and your mission is complete. Rendezvous at Hydra Office A12." General told me. "You will stay there and prepare for your new mission. Details upon arrival. Virus complete, you may end the call."

"Okay great, Mum! See you there!" I withdrew the phone from my ear and turned back to the man. "Thank you, sir."

"Anything for a lovely young lady. Now hurry on to your mother, you mustn't keep her waiting." He waved goodbye, and I returned it. As soon as my back was turned to him, I dropped the fake smile. 'Insolent fool'. I began to walk towards my rendezvous point when I heard something interesting.

"The building seems to be purely intel storage. I detect three squads, each with ten, and two others." A man's voice said quietly.

'They're talking about A12', I realized. Looking closer, I saw the man was brunette, dark eyes, medium build, and wearing a baseball cap. He was sitting at a coffee shop, sipping from a mug. Noticing several small scars on his face and arms, I recognized the figure. 'Odd. What is Iron Man doing here? This office is off-books'. The strangest thing about him was a peculiar pair of glasses.

'Time to do some spy work'. I noted what the coffee shop workers were wearing, and manifested a matching apron, wig, and hair tie. Taking off the wig I was already wearing, I put the new one on, tied it into a bun, and then tied the apron around me. Then, I simply walked in, handling a few customers as I went along. "Hello, sir. Is there anything else you need?"

He looked surprised when I spoke. "Um, no, thanks." He smiled, more of a courteous one than a genuine one, the smile you give to a stranger.

"You know, you look so familiar. Oh, maybe you're one of my dad's friends. What do you do?"

His smile faltered slightly. "Uh, construction," he said, sounding uncertain.

"Oh, then you might know him! He's an architect. Do you know the name Collin Carbonell?" I purposefully used his mother's middle and maiden name, and as soon as I said it, his face drained. "You aren't as smart as I am, Stark. Bye now." I taunted, turning quickly on my heel and making for the back exit. I heard him slam his mug down and try to follow me, but I had timed my exit so another waitress would block him, giving me the needed time to get away.

🌀💮🌀

When I walked into Office A12, a guard took all of my gear, and locked my gloves on my wrists.

"Congratulations, Erinnerung. The General is very pleased, and she is waiting to debrief you." She said. 

We reached a room marked with the Hydra symbol. As soon as we stopped in front of it, the door opened, revealing The General.

"General."

"Erinnerung. Come in." She stepped to the side, sweeping her arm. I walked into a room identical to every General's office I've been to, the many missions I've carried out. The many kills, the destruction of it all. "Well done on your last mission."

"Hail Hydra." I say,

"Hail Hydra. Now, debriefing. What did you see?"

"I saw a fountain, filled with cold water, a daisy growing, a small child playing. An impatient yet giving man." I said, no emotion in my voice.

"And what did this mean to you?" She asked.

"Nothing." I said. And I meant it. These things had no importance to me. All that mattered was the next mission, succeeding. We went on talking for a while as I ate my meal. General easily cleared me for my next mission.

"Did the mission go smoothly?"

"I saw Anthony Stark surveying our building. I threw him off." I answered.

"How?"

"Emotional manipulation; I mentioned his mother. Whatever their planning, they'll strike faster, but less efficiently."

"While that was an effective use of your training, this time we want them to catch us. I'll have to move up the timetable, which means you will have less preparation for your next mission."

"I am ready to comply."

"I know, Erinnerung. That's all for tonight." She called for a Caretaker, which entered the room immediately, trailed by the same two guards as before. We all walked the short walk back to my room, and I followed my usual routine: lay down, stay still as the restraint straps are tied down. I quickly drifted off to a dreamless sleep.

🌀💮🌀