3 - "Cold Cold Cold"

A Caretaker walked up to me, taking the chains from the guard and leading me to my new room.

"Here is where you will stay," he said, opening the door. "This evening, General will debrief you, you will have the next two days for training, and the following morning you will be briefed for another mission."

I walked inside my room. It was the same as the one before, but smaller, and there was a book placed on my bed, with a pen inside it. The Caretaker attached my chains to a hook on the wall.

"The book is your reward."

I nodded, opening it to find the pages blank. Turning to look at the spine, I read the inscription. "Erinnerung", my agent name.

"Correct, Erinnerung. While it is a reward, it will also be a part of your next mission. You are to write about your memories while you've been with us. This will help you greatly."

"Hail Hydra." I took the pen and was about the start writing when a cold hand was placed over the page.

"You are to write the memories that would devastate others. The 'worst ones', as they are called." The Caretaker said.

"Understood." It was times like these when I wished the Caretakers were human, so I could read their thoughts, access their memories. But they were nothing more than metal, of gears and wires. He turned and walked out of the room, closing and locking the door behind him as I began to think. 

'What would make the Avengers' hearts squeeze? Easy; for the Winter Soldier and Black Widow, being haunted by the past. For Captain America, being a good soldier, for Iron Man, loneliness, and  for the Hulk, being a freak of nature, a monster.' As I analyzed their histories, I began to write, not bothering to look at the page as I scrawled out a perfectly constructed, and true, sob story.

🌀💮🌀

As I awaited my next mission, I trained. All my life, I had trained, and mostly of my own accord. Tiring out my body and my mind meant I wouldn't dream. Dreaming in my world was bad, since it had almost killed me once. I had come back from an easy mission, I believe I was seven, and was having a dream about a man with a strange knife I'd encountered. I dreamed the mission went south and the man cut me, and I woke up in a cold sweat with lacerations all over my body. Since then, I train every night before bed, and I haven't had another deadly dream. 'Lord, I have problems.' I thought as I split a punching bag open. 'Oh well.'

🌀💮🌀

My eyes snap open at the sound of light footsteps approaching my door. I take a deep breath as I hear the key turn in the lock, and release it as the door opens. It's earlier than my usual wake-up, I realize.

"Good morning, Erinnerung." Caretaker says. 

"Good morning." Caretaker undoes the straps, and I sit up.

"No time for breakfast this morning, Erinnerung. The General needs to brief you quickly for your next mission, and then you need to go back to sleep."

I nod, and stand. No guards. How odd. 'No breakfast, no guards, earlier wake-up, back-to-back missions. Today is out of the ordinary, that much is certain,' I think. We soon arrive at the General's door, which again opens quickly. 

"Erinnerung."

"General." I sit down, but the Caretaker does not chain me to the chair. "Breaking many protocols." I observe.

"For the sake of time, yes. Erinnerung, how long have you been with us?" She asked, but she knew the answer already.

"Fifteen years." I reply.

"And how old are you?"

"Sixteen, General." At this point a rare feeling fogs my mind; confusion.

"All your life, you have been training. These past few days, you have been training. All of it for missions, all of which have been successful. You have never failed Hydra."

"Hail Hydra." I chant.

"This will be your longest and most important mission yet." She tapped on her arm band a few times, and again the image of the Avengers Tower appeared, just as it had a few days ago. "This mission will be quite unorthodox, Erinnerung. Later today, the Avengers will strike this very office. They will be here only to collect information, until they realize you are here. They will try to 'rescue' you. You must let them succeed. You must be certain they make it out of here with all the information they require. But most of all, they must have your file. And you must be with them." The General looked back at me.

"What do I do after that?" I ask.

"You must get them to trust you. You must become one of them. And when the time is right, you will bring them to their knees."

"How do I get them to trust me?" I don't ask because I'm naive and don't know. I ask to clarify what must be done to ensure a successful mission.

"You've read their files as often as you've been on missions, Erinnerung. Use any. Means. Necessary."

"Hail Hydra" I understand the mission. I must not fail it.

"Hail Hydra."

I had stood up and began walking to the door when the General called, "Erinnerung?"

"General." I stopped and turned back to her.

"You must stay on the run as long as you see fit. Be prepared to taunt them, to be persistent. Ruin whatever operation of theirs you see fit to force their hand into coming after you. Not only that, but make them feel obligated to protect you. They see you as a child, as weak. When they come, leave your journal, but run." She looked into my eyes intensely.

"I am ready to comply." I answered.

"Good. Now off to your quarters." She called for the Caretaker, who arrived within seconds. When I was all tied down, I ran through a crude plan in my head. Very easy to work with, and malleable, depending on how the Avengers would react. I was ready.

🌀💮🌀