Delivery Room Debacle (dad!Harry)

Word Count: 2.5k

Harry found her by the pool, her already glowing body veiled by a thin layer of sweat. Her sun-kissed legs were crossed one another, body completely bare sans the skimpy swimsuit that she only wore at home due to her current situation. She was nearly 7 months pregnant with hers and Harry's first child, having gotten to the point where even the thought of leaving the house exhausted her. Knowing this, it made sense to Harry as to why he found her in such an unusual place when he came home from his workout at the gym. She'd always claimed that she hated the oversized pool that took up room for a potential garden in the backyard of their home, so she was rarely seen dipping her toes in the cool, blue water. Harry supposed her cabin fever had gotten the best of her and she'd had to find new ways to entertain herself whilst they both waited anxiously for their baby to arrive.

He could see her through the large, glass windows that faced the backyard, her cell phone perched in one hand while she rubbed absent-minded circles around her swollen bump with the other. Sounds of her sweet, cherubic laugh trailed in through the cracks of the french doors, immediately warming Harry's chest and causing him to smile in a way that showed off his cavernous dimples. This pregnancy had brought a lot of emotional turmoil in terms of the way her hormones would render her depressed and misanthropic for weeks at a time in some cases, then bouncy and cheery the next as if nothing had been wrong. Harry supposed today had been one of those good days.

It came as second nature to him to make a double batch of the smoothie he routinely drank after he exercised. He'd found out early on in her pregnancy that she'd always try to sneak sips of the sweet, fruity blend due to her new cravings, so he'd eventually just started making two drinks each time to satisfy them both. As he juggled the two glasses in his large, ringed hands, he slid open the door with the full intention of joining her in her sunbathing escapades to cool down after his intensive workout. Maybe he'd even convince her to stick her feet over the edge while he swam a few laps around her. That was until he'd caught the tail-end of the sentence that she'd muttered to whoever was on the other end of her phone line.

"...I was just thinking maybe you or Anne in the room during the delivery, and then Harry can come in and see the baby right after."

Harry felt his heart sink into his arse at what he'd overheard, almost in disbelief at what he'd just heard her say. Surely, he'd missed a key part of this conversation and the tidbit he'd just stumbled upon was not her saying that she didn't want Harry by her side when she gave birth to their first child. They'd never discussed it, but he'd always been under the assumption that he'd be right there next to her, holding her hand as their son or daughter made their appearance into the world. However, Harry couldn't shake the feeling like that was exactly what she had just said.

"Yeah, totally. And then- Oh! Hi, Harry!" She stopped mid-sentence and perked up upon realizing her husband was home.

Harry smiles cheesily back at her, though there was a hint of disappointment in his expression. She was too entranced in her conversation to notice.

"Brought ye' a smoothie," Harry raised the glass towards his face to show off the perspiring glass of blended fruit and protein powder.

She wiggles her toes in excitement, the shiny lilac polish gleaming in the sunlight. Harry had painted them for her last week, her having been too far along in her pregnancy to reach her own toes. He always did little things like this for her so she could feel beautiful no matter how atrocious she was convinced she looked in her state. If it were up to Harry, he'd keep her like this for as long as possible; he had fallen in love with her ten times over since she'd been pregnant.

"Thank you, lovie. Gemma's on the line. She says hi. And also that she's still your mum's favorite," she said to Harry as she pulled the phone slightly away from her ear.