Chapter 42

"You sure you don't want me to join you?" Goku softly spoke and rested his hand on Vegeta's lap.

Vegeta pressed his lips together as he focused his attention on his childhood home. Some happy memories infused with an abundance of anguish ones deluged his mind. It was as if he was staring at a photograph as the house looked exactly the same from when he moved out.

There was something he had to do in order for him to move on in his life, he couldn't allow his past to weigh him down anymore nor could he keep running away from it. He rested his hand on Goku's. They had been sitting inside the car with the engine running for the last five minutes that it had caused a few neighbours to pop their heads out of the windows.

He knew if he kept sitting there that he'd eventually talk himself out of it. A gentle squeeze on his lap brought his attention back on Goku, and he smiled at him as he could see the look of concern etched on his fiancé's face.

"I need to do this alone, I'll be okay," he reassured him and gave him a quick peck on the lips before climbing out of the car.

Each step Vegeta took forward to the house echoed in his mind. It was as if the entire world around him had gone quiet and it was only him there making noise.

As he heard each stride he began to think on everything that happened and how it all started here at this house because of that awful woman.

He remembered every moment from when he found out he was gay to when his stepmother found that he was gay and attempted to 'cure' him, and she gave him money that he handed out to the gang at school that he joined in order not to be targeted.

He stopped for a moment and hesitated in his step as all that had happened rushed to his mind and the horrid flashbacks began to play of all that he had done and made others suffer through.

Hurting people and his fiancé with that gang, sleeping with his stepmother for his 'cure' and money and abandoning his brother and so much more.

However, he started to walk once more, even as he felt all those feelings of despair, hatred and guilt he continued forward as remembered how despite all that people came to him and helped him and supported him no matter what had happened and how he acted with them.

He smiled now as he remembered how he rekindled his relationship with his sister and his brother and how both supported him now and how he had met Goku once more and made up with him, and he was always there supporting him no matter what and comforting him and making sure he was okay and that he was happy.

He approached the door and took a deep breath and reached for the doorknob and grasped it and turned it, opening the door to where that woman laid in wait in the place where it all began.

The door creaked as he pushed it open, revealing the hallway that led to the kitchen with the stairway on the left-hand side and the door to the living room on the right. A familiar voice from the kitchen caused his stomach to churn and tighten.

He had to do this, he couldn't keep bottling all these emotions inside anymore. He drew in a deep breath and slowly exhaled as he closed the front door behind him. As the door clicked shut, the kitchen door swung open.

"Look what the cat dragged in," his stepmother jeered and leaned against the door frame.

"And look what the dog threw up," Vegeta retorted and made a side glimpse on the paintings hung on the wall.

Everything looked untouched, if the dust on the frames were anything to go by. His stepmother took pride in the house, but it was apparent to him she had neglected maintaining the place as soon as he and his siblings moved out. For the first time in his life, he felt sorry for her. She was evidently lonely.