2. Get Down

I hummed lightly to myself as I bundled up in my coat. My eyebrows rose in surprise when I saw Apollo was readying to go out as well. It was almost eight p.m.

"Where are you going?" he asked curiously.

"Meet up with some friends. I'm helping one of them plan a ball of sorts," I lied, smiling stiffly. He nodded.

"I'll be out late," he said, beginning to head for the door. "Don't wait up."

"Okay," I replied. "Bye, Apollo."

"Bye," he replied, rushing out the door. My smile fell. Two years of marriage and we had become less awkward around each other, but it did nothing for the lack of love between us. Being stuck in a loveless marriage wasn't exactly on my bucket list, but between work and friends, he was gone so much it didn't cause me problems aside from the growing unhappiness in my life. My smiles were rare and forced and there was hardly a moment I truly enjoyed.

I followed his path out the door, meeting up with one of my friends, Patria. "How's the husband?" she asked tensely. "I saw him rush out."

"He suspects nothing," I assured, not glancing at her as we entered Patria's small tea shop. "Sorry I'm late, Madames, Monsieurs, and Mademoiselles."

"No trouble," Señora Pilar assured in her heavy Spanish accent. I took off and set aside my coat and shawl, leaving me in a simple red dress.

"So, Madames, our new members, la Monsieurs," I began, resting my hands on the back of a chair as my sharp eyes crossed over them all. "As you all know, we are planning a revolution. France is no perfection. The poor are oppressed. Men live in poverty, unable to provide for their families. Women are reduced to giving up their dignity and pride as a means of survival. And our children live on the streets without a chance to truly be children."

I paused, allowing for my words to sink in. "Women get unequal pay to men. Women get treated with no respect. Women are raped in alleys with no justice being served. All of these things have been occurring since the beginning of time itself. Since the introduction of sin into this world. What kind of people are we? To allow such vial monstrosities to continue to exist for so long? If we cannot make progress within ourselves, we will fall," I finished.

"Now, as much as I'd like to think we can peacefully talk this out, we all know that is not possible. We'd be hanged in an instant. We need war. We need to fight. We need to stand before the people of France, the upper class who scorn the poor and tell them to get down from their high horse and make this damn country worth living in. You wanted to know, Monsieurs, what we do here, what we strive for. We strive to amend those injustices. Let's get to work."

For the next several hours, we worked tirelessly attempting to figure out how to fight a war with so little people. We had two goals in mind. The first of which was the discover other revolutionary groups so we could work together with them, giving us a better chance. Our second goal was to plan out where to set up barricades and gather ammunition and weapons for when the fighting begins.

It was dreadfully late into the night when I glanced at the time and said, "I need to be heading back. My husband may be waiting for me. I shall see you all tomorrow. Thank you, Madames, Monsieurs, and Mademoiselles."

I bowed my head to them and left, but one of the men rushed up to me, calling, "Madame! Madame!" I stopped and waited for him to catch up to me. "I know of one of the revolutionary leaders. I can get you in contact with him."

"I would appreciate that," I replied. "Monsieur Marius, I think it should be best he and I don't meet face to face. Should he learn a woman is leading this organization he may be less inclined to help. Should he ask, say my name is Phoenix, nothing more."

"I shall keep your identity hidden," he promised. "I'll carry letters between you." I nodded and we parted ways. Stepping into the flat, I sighed in relief to see that Apollo was no where in sight.
...............................................
Enjolras was going over a map to do some planning with the other men when Marius rushed inside. "Enjolras," he called. "I found another revolutionary leader, as passionate as you. They want to work with you."

"Who is he?" Enjolras asked.

Marius shook his head, explaining, "I was asked to keep their identity secret."

"I can't trust someone I don't see," he countered, beginning to lose interest.

"Enjolras, trust me, this leader cares and their passion for change rivals even your own," Marius insisted.

After studying him for a long moment, he finally said, "Very well. I'll draft up a letter for you to deliver. Do I get any kind of name, even an alias?"

"Phoenix," Marius replied. "That's the alias. Phoenix." Enjolras nodded and sat down to write the letter.
........................................
I was carefully brushing through my long locks when I heard the door open and close. "Hey," Apollo greeted, tossing aside his coat and beginning to undo his vest.

"Hi," I replied, setting aside my brush.

"How was the planning?"

I smirked slightly as I replied, "It was productive. There's still lots to do, but I think...I think it'll take Paris by storm." Enjolras hummed in reply, disinterested. "How was your stuff?"

"Good," he replied, taking off his boots. "Got a lot accomplished." I nodded awkwardly. God I hate this. With a silent sigh, I moved into the living room and grabbed a book from the bookshelf. I slipped on my reading glasses and began to read. It was late into the night when my eyes finally became tired and I set aside my book and glasses.

Entering our room, I saw that Apollo was already in bed asleep. He was laying on his side, turned away from mine. Laying down, I turned away from him, leaving at least three or four feet between us before drifting off into sleep.