9. History Has its Eyes on You

When morning came, I was already up and about. I dressed in a simple red dress with an off the shoulder neckline. This I paired with a simple silver chain and one of my simple silver rings as a charm. I put my hair up in a high, curly ponytail, my bangs hanging around my face. I also added a tiny bit of mascara. "Where are you off to?" Apollo asked groggily as I stood back up.

"I have to go to the reading of the will for my parents," I explained, slipping in some silver earrings.

"Shouldn't you be in black? Also, don't I have to go with you?" he asked.

"If you want," I shrugged. "And no. I don't feel like wearing black today." With a sigh, Apollo got up, kissed my cheek, and went to get ready to go with me. I grabbed my shawl and coat and set out a quick breakfast. After we had eaten, we left to walk to my parent's house. Several carriages were lined up from my cousins and aunts and uncles. Shaking my head, I took Apollo's hand and entered the house.

"Blaisaline," a voice called the moment I stepped in the door.

"Marie," I replied bitterly, faking a smile. "I believe you remember my husband?"

"Yes, of course," she replied, holding out her hand expectantly. He kissed her hand, but I could tell he was very awkward about it, even if Marie didn't. My cousin was never very bright.

"We shall now begin," my parent's lawyer called out. Everyone settled in the sitting room and I sat while Apollo stood behind my chair. "The final will and testament of Monsieur and Madame Javert. My estate and financial holdings shall go to my dear daughter, Blaisaline Enjolras. My company shall go to my nephew and a hundred francs shall go to each of my living siblings and in-laws as well as my other nieces and nephews. That is all."

"Madame Enjolras," the lawyer added, cutting into the mumbling and groaning of my family around me. I approached, Apollo at my side. "Here is the deed to the house and bank notes for the money." I nodded and smiled half heartedly. With a sigh, I grabbed Apollo's hand and we left rather quickly.

"So what are you going to do?" he asked.

"Sell the house," I admitted. "Then give away all the money. We don't need it and I'd feel guilty with all that money."

"I would too," Apollo admitted. "How much is it again?"

"Four-hundred thousand francs," I said bitterly. "Let's drop this off and go to our meetings." Once we were in the house, we locked the money and deed in the safe and bundled up again to leave. As we were walking, I asked, "Apollo, how much do you trust your men?"

"I'd trust them with my life," he replied.

"Do you think they'd harm any of the girls in my group?"

"No," he admitted.

"Then let's merge them," I suggested. "I know I said no before, but if you trust them then so do I."

"Okay," he agreed.

"Welcome Madames, Mademoiselles, and Monsieurs," I greeted, stepping into the tea shop. Setting aside my coat and shawl, I admitted, "I have a proposition for you all." Everyone was looking up curiously as I explained, "I want to merge our group with my husband's. However, if you don't want to do so, I completely understand and you don't have to."

"I think we should do it," Yvonne, one of the prostitutes in the group said.

"Me too," Maria, the daughter of a royalists noblemen added.

"I'm all for it," Señora Pilar said.

"Does anyone have any protests?" I asked, looking around at those who hadn't spoken.

"Do you trust them?" Camille, the wife of my cousin Phinehas asked.

"I do," I admitted.

"I trust you," she replied. "And if you trust them, then I have no protest."

"Then we are all agreed?" I clarified, looking around at them all. They all nodded. Smiling, I suggested, "Then let us go and meet them all."

"Evening, boys," I greeted, setting aside my coat. "I have a few people to introduce you to."

"We're merging our groups," Apollo explained.

"This is Mademoiselle Yvonne, Mademoiselle Maria, Madame Camille, you of course all ready know Monsieur Marius, Monsieur Diage," I ran through another ten names before Enjolras introduced his group.

"So...who's the leader now?" Camille asked, crossing her arms over her chest and looking between Apollo and me.

Glancing at him, I said, "Together?"

"Always," he replied, taking my hand and smiling at me.

After smiling back, I let go of his hand and turned to the others and said, "Before we go further, there is something about my group you all should know." Glancing at the others in my group, I looked at them as if asking for permission. They all nodded. "Three of my group are prostitutes. Some are married to royalists. Some are the daughters of royalists. For that reason, I feel the need to say that who is in this group, specifically coming from my group, must remain confidential."

"Please, our safety depends on it," Camille said, looking at them all.

"We'll keep your secret," Joly promised.

Glancing at me, Camille said, "Another thing you all should know is-"

"Camille," I interrupted. "You don't have to."

"They should know," she countered. "My husband is Inspector Javert."

Several of them erupted into protests but I shouted over them all, "Stop!" Once it was quiet again, I said, "Camille has been in my group for seven years. Her relationship with Javert hasn't caused me any problems. And if being related to Inspector Javert is going to cause problems, then you best throw out Apollo and I too because Inspector Javert is my cousin."

"I'm as willing to die for this cause as any of you," Camille said firmly.

"So then," Apollo said, turning to everyone. "Anyone have any issues with this?"

"Alright then," I said after a few moments of silence. "The two groups become one."

"Then let's plan a revolution."

"History has its eyes on you," I said quietly to Apollo.