Chapter 1: Astilbe

(Seoul, Spring of April 1950)

It was already almost evening when they've arrived in Seoul. From the Zhong's family home in Busan, they've travelled by jeep driven by one of Jisung's men. They've waited a week after the wedding to move and has stopped over beside the small market selling some sweet snacks since Chenle was craving for some.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" Jisung looked at his wife not wanting to impose his presence. They've grown accustomed to each other's company but not close enough to think of each other as a set.

"I'll be fine." The smaller reassured hopping off the vehicle without even looking back.

The taller trailed his eyes on the disappearing figure.

"Sir? May I speak?" The staff sergeant spoke breaking the awkward silence.

"Yes?" Jisung replied weakly.

"Mr. Zhong will definitely slowly open up... so you don't have to look that sad." Huijae commented at his boss's downcast expression.

The taller smiled humming a response.

They're parked a little to the side of the market's entrance so a couple of people passed by them from time to time. Watching the small lively stalls ahead, Jisung thought that South Korea is gradually standing back up on her feet after the World War and what little the Japanese have left. The US had also relinquished their hold on them just as the Soviet has left the North. The country was under the US and Soviet governance just after the second world war and it took some years for them to be granted complete freedom. The two giant countries left drastic contrast in the ruling in between the North and South that tension has grown into how to unite such opposing governments.

It won't be long until a civil war would begin.

Jisung fixed his uniform while getting lost in his thoughts. He's a military general and one of the commanding officers of the South's military division. This is why he had to marry Chenle to build an alliance with them as one of the coal mining and oil rig business tycoon, ensuring the source of energy they might need in the brewing war. The only thing holding them back is that they are definitely short on the artillery since the US government confiscated almost all of it before leaving as a precaution, afraid that the South might make the first move in overtaking the North.

Looking down at the dirt road by the side of the car door he knew the reason why Chenle's family let him marry their precious son. He's second in line for presidency and the most favored candidate to be the one elected as president after the precedented war will be over. This is beside the fact that he's an alpha and for those who knew the shameful story, they'll know that he's a pure one. His blood goes back to the oldest of their kind as manifested by the small birthmark on his ribs just above his waist.

Therefore, he knew that it's not like the older has to love him because it was political in the first place. He knew that but still...

His eyes flickered at the scarce drops of moisture painting the soil darker.
"Huijae I'll be following Chenle." He spoke taking with him a black umbrella.

Arriving at the market, the man briskly scanned the area but can't spot the smaller anywhere. He then decided to walk towards the darker alley where the faint scent lead him to search when he heard voices around the corner.

"Chenle... I never thought that you still felt the same way about me."
A man's hushed voice spoke.

"I had no chance to say it." A shy reply came.

"But... What you're asking is- I love my wife Chenle, I have a kid now."

"Taeyong... I know. That's why I'm asking for just one kiss. I want to kiss you at least once, b-because from now on I'll be with that man. I'll have to kiss those lips." A frantic explanation was thrown to the other man.