Chapter 56

Paige POV

I woke up very early the next day. Emma was the first thought that came to mind. I wanted to see her. Kevin was asleep on the chair by my side.

We heard a knock on the door . I looked up and saw that it was the obstetrician. Kevin immediately woke up. Both doctors greeted each other since they were work colleagues.

The obstetrician examined me and said I was being discharged. I thanked the doctor and he was on his way.

"Kevin I need to see Emma." I said.

"I know you do. But we should both shower before we go see her." He said.

I sighed. "Ok." I said.

"I have some spare clothes in my locker. I'm going to grab a quick shower and then I'll be right back." He said. "Do you need any help?" He asked me.

"No I'll be good once they take out my IV" I said.

"That can be arranged" Kevin's said removing my IV and placed a band aide. He sighed. "We need to talk Paige. I know we can't do it now but we definitely need to talk" he said. He gave me a kiss on the cheek. "I'll be back soon." I didn't say anything I simply nodded.

Kevin was right we needed to talk. I just didn't have the energy to do that now.

I went into the bathroom and took a shower. I came out and changed with the clothes I had prepared in Emma's Diaper bag.

Once I was done I heard a knock on the door. I looked up and saw Sara and Ethan. "Paige!" Sara said running inside. I was sitting down on the edge of the bed. She ran to me and hugged me.

"Careful Sara. Don't hurt Paige." Ethan said as he trailed behind her.

Sara instantly backed away. "I'm sorry Paige did I hurt you?" She asked looking up at me with worried eyes.

I pulled her into a hug. "Oh course not Sara." I said. 

Sara looked up at me. "Paige how's the baby. Where's the baby? is it a boy or girl?" She asked me.

I looked up at Ethan. He was now sitting in the chair next to my bed. I guess he didn't tell her anything. I looked down at Sara. "It's a girl. Her name is Emma Grace." I said.

"I like her name. Emma Grace" she said.

"Where is she?" She asked.

"Emma is a little sick. She's in a special room for babies like her." I said trying to explain the best I could to Sara.

"Oh. Will she be ok? I made her this" she said handing me a folded piece of paper.

I opened the piece of paper and there was a drawing. "It's the four of us" she said. "It you, me, Ethan and Emma. I didn't know if it was a boy or girl so I drew the baby in yellow. We're all in our house in California." She said looking up at me.

I felt a knot in my throat. "Sara, Emma is going to love this. thank you" I said.

"You're welcome. Paige now that Ethan remembers you. Are you coming home?" Sara asked me. My eyes grew wide. I couldn't answer her question.

"Sara don't..." Ethan tried to say. But we heard a knock on the door and we all looked up.

"Sorry to interrupt." Kevin said walking inside. He was wearing his scrubs. "Are you ready to go." He asked me.

"Yes I am" I said.

"Where are you going Paige?" She asked me.

"I'm going to see Emma" I said.

"Can I come?" She asked me.

Kevin answered. "Kids aren't allowed there" he said.

"But she can look thru the large window can't she?" I asked Kevin.

He sighed "its not really..." he started to say.

"Please Kevin." I said looking up at him.

"Fine I guess" he looked annoyed.

"We should go. I can't wait to see my daughter" Ethan said.

Kevin immediately became irritated.  He walked to my side. "Come on Paige" he said helping me up.

Ethan grabbed Sara and sighed. Then the four of us headed to see Emma.

Once we arrived I geared up and entered the room. Ethan and Sara stayed outside and were looking inside the window. I walked over to Emma. Kevin examined her.

"How is she Kevin?" I asked him.

"She's pretty much the same as yesterday." He said.

"Can I hold her?" I asked him. He nodded. I took her out of the box crib and held her.

I can see Ethan picking up Sara so she could see Emma better. Sara waived at us and I waved back at Sara using Emma's little hand.

"I'm going to run my rounds. I'll be back later" Kevin said sounding frustrated. Then he unexpectedly kissed me and walked towards the door. I could see Ethan thru the glass and he looked angry.

I looked down at Emma. "I love you baby girl. I promise to work this out" I said sighing.