twenty-three

"This was dropped off for you." My dad says, entering my room with a garment bag.

"By who?" I question.

"I don't know, it wasn't Ashton. It was some tall blonde kid. There's a note there for you to read." He replies, leaving my room as I pick up the note.

'Emma, I need you to come to the house at 6, wearing this. Don't question me, just do it. Please, it's important. -Ashton'

My eyebrows furrow in confusion as I slowly open the bag to reveal a long gown.

Even though he said not to question him, I pick up my phone to call Ashton.

"Emma!" Ashton exclaims.

"Hi, uh, why did you send me a dress?" I ask.

"I thought I said no questions?" He replies.

"Ashton."

"Michael you fucking idiot- uh, Emma, I have to go. I'll see you at six!" He says, ending the call.

I hate surprises, surprises give me anxiety. I would just stay home, but I'd feel terrible since it's Ashton.

I'm scared, but I'll do this.

-

"So you have no idea what's going on?" Dad asks,

"Nope."

"Well you look beautiful, Em." He smiles.

"Thank you." I grin.

"Ready to go?" He questions grabbing his car keys.

I take a deep breath, "Yea, let's go."

When we get to the house, I say goodbye to my dad before heading to the door.

As soon as I knock, the door swings open, Michael standing there.

"Wow, you clean up well." I chuckle.

He rolls his eyes, "Just, come on."

Michael lets me inside, and I see Luke and Calum are both dressed up also.

"Okay, what's going on?" I question.

"You'd have to talk to Ashton about that." Luke says.

"Where is he?" I question.

The three point to the back door and I can see Ashton through the glass, smiling and waving.

I head outside to see Ashton all dressed up, standing next to a table and I give him a questioning look.

"Ashton, what's going on?" I ask.

He takes a deep breath, "I just want to tell you this isn't a date I'm forcing you to go on. Well, I guess it kinda is? But not like that! I just- you seemed so upset about missing your prom, and that you had nobody to go with. But I'm here now, so I-I kinda made you your own prom. The only downside is that you'll have to accept me as your date."

"You- I- Ashton..."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you'd hate it this much, I'm so stupid-"

"Ashton." I interrupt.

"Yes?" He questions.

I don't say anything, I just walk up to him and pull him into a hug.

"This is the nicest thing anybody has ever done for me." I whisper.

"I owe you. I pretty much forced you into telling me all your personal stuff. I kept fighting you about it. I just wanted to make it up to you. Since you were so upset about your prom I thought of this." He smiles as we pull away from our hug.