the second shift.

POV: KENMA KOZUME

POV: KENMA KOZUME.

"Hinata and Kageyama went missing."

After that, I felt like my life began to change. Kuroo walked into my room one night and told me the news, but I didn't believe him. At first, I looked at him and told him to stop joking, but he gave me a face that had no trace of his usual, snarky self. He wasn't joking, but I didn't really process it.

Mrs. Hinata called the police three days after the freak duo didn't return home from the practice with us. I remember calling Shoyo over and over again, and not once did he pick up his phone. I was still in denial. It was when we held the second practice game with Karasuno that it really began sinking in.

When we got to the gym, Fukurodani was already setting up the nets and doing drills as usual. I thought Bokuto would greet us with his usual, "Hey hey hey, guys!" But, it didn't come. Instead, he turned around and gave us a small wave and a weak smile. Akaashi nodded to acknowledge our existence, but that was nothing unusual. He walked on over to me and Kuroo, leaving Bokuto to practice serving. Oddly quiet. Extremely quiet. The only sound coming from the ace was the squeak of his shoes and the impact of his serves, and I felt shivers down my spine every time I heard it.

Out of nowhere, the sound of the gym doors opening echoed through the court, making all eyes turn to the source of the sound. In all their glory, Karasuno walked in, their coach and everyone.

Everyone but Shoyo and Kageyama.

I counted them over and over again, and looked carefully at each one of their faces, then it hit me. They really weren't there. And there was no glory to the looks on their faces. Their Captain looked more tired and stern than ever, and his eyes never seemed to leave his teammates. Their third-year setter, Sugawara, had bags under his eyes. His usually inviting aura was gone. The skinhead second-year wing spiker of theirs was unusually quiet, and their Libero seemed to be the only one with a smile on his face. Admittedly, the smile looked awfully forced. The group of second years that were usually benched looked at us like they were crying for help, and their Ace with a manbun looked terrifying. I looked down to their other two first-years, and they were silent.

They really were gone.

They weren't there.

I don't see Shoyo.

All of a sudden, I didn't feel like playing volleyball anymore.

My stomach churned, my head spun, the realization of the possible fact one of my best friends was in possibly mortal danger began hitting me like a rock. Kuroo side-eyed me and put a hand on my shoulder, almost as if he knew everything going through my mind. "They'll be fine, Kenma. They'll find them."

What if they won't? What if the worst already happened? What if they're hurt, or taken away? What if they're dead?

What if they're dead?