CHAPTER 7

Thump Thump Thump

Her heart droned in her ears louder than the roaring engine of the black Mercedes. Its windows were tinted black, and fine leather felt like ice against her skin. That was nothing compared  to the discomfort she felt when Dog ordered her to put on a blindfold. "Precaution", he had said. Wherever they were going, she wasn't supposed to see the road. 

This made for the worst car ride she had been on, including the time her dad crashed into a tree when she was five. No radio, no conversations, just suspense. 

Her breath hitched when she felt the vehicle come to a smooth stop. They had been driving on a gravel road for about fifteen minutes. The ride was long as well. Wherever this was, they no longer were in the city. 

The passenger side door opened. "You can take that off." Dog spoke, already making his way further away from the car. 

When Angelique removed the black cloth from her eyes, her jaw dropped. The car was parked in front of curved stairs leading up to enormous mansion. The kind you'd see in movies. Painted polar white, intimidating facade loomed over anything else. 

It had this dangerous beauty about it. Even if she didn't know what it held within, it still had a vibe of a place you didn't just walk out of. Surveilence cameras were set on every corner, and distant barking of dogs guarding the perimeter rung through the night air. 

"Are you coming?" Dog's voice snapped her back into reality. 

Angelique hurriedly nodded. "Y-yeah." She hurried up the steps towards two large doors that lead into a luxurious lobby. 

"Stay here. Don't touch anything and don't go anywhere. I don't have to explain what happens if you do."

She shook her head. "I got it." 

And with that, Dog walked away, leaving her standing in middle of the gigantic room all alone. No more than fifteen minutes later, he returned with the same emotionless look on his face, and ordered her to follow along. If it wasn't for the simmering stress in pit of her stomach, she might've payed closer attention to the beautifully styled house. 

The mansion was so big that she quickly lost all sense of direction. By the time they had reached the right door, she could no longer remember how to find the exit. Not that it would help her much if shit hit the fan. 

Dog knocked, and moments later a deep voice came from the other side. "Come in." 

Her insides clenched. The door slowly opened, revealing an ample office with a large mahogany table set in middle. Familiar, piercing silver eyes landed on her the second she took a step inside. Nikolai sat leaning into a leather chair, smoke of cigarette swirling from his lips. 

He seized her up like a predator would it's innocent victim. "What a surprise. I wasn't expecting an Angel in my office." He didn't look surprised to see her, like he knew she would come to him sooner or later. The dark look in his eyes was unsettling. He didn't even blink as he stared at her through the billowing smoke. 

Angelique swallowed back a lump that had formed in her throat. "I came to talk to you about....the offer." Her hands clenched at her sides, knuckles turning white. "Does it still stand?" 

Nikolai took another moment to savor the quivering woman in front of him, and then slowly stood to his full height. The expensive suit jacket was straightened with a firm tug of his hand. It hugged around his muscular built, curving slightly over the defined biceps. This man didn't eat or drink himself to stupor. He was in peak shape.

Tauntingly slowly, he approached, taking a drag from his cigarette. The silver eyes never trailed away from Angelique. He came to stand directly in front of her. The smoke was exhaled directly in her face, making the poor woman cough.