CHAPTER 26

"Breakfast is ready." Irina's cheerful voice cut through the dark room. Delicious smell filled the air. Beacon with eggs. Her stomach growled, her head lifting lazily from the fluffy pillow. 

Two days later, she still felt sore. Nikolai was true to his word. The night of her 'punishment' made her legs quiver even now. He took her roughly over and over again. Against the wall, on the floor, on bed and even followed her in the shower for another round. When she collapsed from pure exhaustion, he reminded her that she could go once more until her insides were aching. 

Her entire body was littered with love bites.He had claimed every inch of her with his lips, teeth and firm touch. The scent of his cologne lingered on the sheets. She hadn't noticed when he left, but for some reason her heart ached that she didn't wake up with his warmth around her. 

"Thank you." Angelique murmured, pushing all those thoughts at the back of her head. 

Irina gave her a knowing grin. "Don't mention it. I heard what happened." Her expression grew serious. "Did you really do it?" Clearly, she was referring to stealing from Nikolai. 

"I did." There was no point lying. "I had to help a friend."

"I heard one of the guards complaining that you locked him in." Irina arranged food on a silver platter as she spoke. "It's very brave of you." 

"You mean stupid?" 

"Maybe a little." The maid chuckled, settling the food in Angelique's lap with a newspaper on the side. "No one else would've gotten away with it. You really are special." 

Sudden warmth spread across her cheeks. For some reason hearing that she was special to Nikolai made her heart sing. "I don't know about that." 

"Oh come on. Don't pretend, you know you are. Between us girls..." Irina leaned in as if she was about to reveal a top secret. "Nikolai was grinning like a school boy at his laptop when I brought him coffee this morning. I have never seen him smile like that." 

Angelique was sure her face was fifty shades of red at this point. "Maybe he landed a good business deal or something." 

"Uh-huh." Irina gave her an odd look that nearly screamed - You know he landed something else. "I'll leave you to your breakfast. Oh, and, when you're done, the successful business lion wants you in his office." She winked playfully, scurrying out from the room before Angelique could say another word. 

My God...

She slumped back into the sheets, wide smile playing on her lips. Her life was nothing like it had been before she met Nikolai, but for the first time in long, she felt happy again. This was entirely different kind of happiness ,and she embraced it despite the mixed feelings. It felt good. 

Butterflies danced in her stomach. Idly, she found herself thinking what to wear after breakfast. Nikolai loved to see her in white. Maybe she could wear a summer dress. 

Angelique took the first bite from the divine tasting breakfast when the headline of the newspaper caught her eye.

A man found dead in house fire!

Color drained from her face. Shakily, her finger unfolded the newspaper. Large picture of burning house was printed on the first page. Picture of her house. 

Her stomach twisted into knots. 

Man found dead....

House fire...

An accident...

Her head begun to spin, the words echoing through her mind over and over again.