CHAPTER 22

Things had changed since the night they spend snuggling under the covers, if ever so slightly. Nikolai had made it his personal mission to keep her in the bed until she made a full recovery. Though, at times it did involve him staying in the bed with her. The mask of ruthless leader he wore slipped away whenever they were alone. 

Every day revealed a new side of him. That he was capable of empathy, kindness, integrity. Angelique had shared her passion for dance, and he taught her how to play chess. They had joked and laughed like two normal human beings. Whatever she might request of him, he saw to carrying it out. 

But it wasn't enough to make her forget or to forgive. 

The dark, malicious side of him still existed, strong and dominant. She saw it flickering beneath his gaze, eating away the kindness she now knew he was capable of. 

Nikolai didn't conduct business in front of her. But every time he came home late with his knuckles bruised and his suit stained by ruby red blood, it served to remind her who he really was. A monster. Even if at times she tricked herself into thinking otherwise. 

"What's on your mind, Angel?" Nikolai's deep voice cut through the fragile trail of thoughts. His fingers stroked up and down her bare back. Her cheek was pressed against his tattooed chest, feeling the thumping heartbeat underneath. A small reminder that he did have a heart. 

"Nothing." She responded. 

His eyes narrowed. "It's not nothing. Don't hide things from me." Demand rung clear in his tone. It was unsettling how easily he could see into her mind. 

Like an open book. 

Angelique sighed, tilting her chin up to look into his grey irises. "I was just wondering..." She sucked in a deep breath. "Have you ever considered quitting this business?" 

Nikolai tensed. The hand stroking her back stopped. "What is this about?" The warning in his voice was chilling. It sent an unpleasant shiver down her spine. 

Slowly, she sat up to get a proper look at his face. "Would you ever quit the mafia?" Something bloomed between them for a while now - more than just this messed up game he had started or sex, or a rush or physical desire. Something stronger and far more demanding than that. 

She feared the emotion, and refused to name it. 

It's not possible to feel that towards a monster. 

"There's a life out there without...killing." She continued.

"Not for me." Nikolai countered. "You should know better than anyone. Mafia is what I am. It's my life." 

"It could be different-"

"Stop it." He stood up, cutting the conversation to the root. "We are not having this conversation." 

"We should." Angelique stressed. "There is more to you than this! I've seen it!" 

"You've seen nothing!" He snapped, feral look in his eyes, Nikolai picking up his scattered clothes. He refused to even glance her way as he got dressed. 

The young woman was far from done talking. He couldn't avoid this conversation for forever. "Don't give me that." She hissed. 

The mask was back on, his features made of stone and eyes icy. Everything she had built and revealed during past weeks was shuttered and no longer of importance - just because she asked the simple question. 

"If I meant anything to you. You would stop and listen! Fucking look at me for once!" 

Nikolai paused, half dressed. His cold, narrowed eyes landed on her form. The look he gave her, could send the strongest men to their knees.