7

I watched Shane and Carl play in the water. Carl looked happy and carefree, even if it was for the moment. I briefly wondered what kind of a mother I would have been. Having children was not something I was necessarily aiming for, but it would have been a delight. Would have.

I then diverted my attention towards the women washing the clothes and found Ed, Carol's mean and reminiscent-of-Merle-looking husband, staring at me with loathing in his eyes. I frowned at him, but he still continued to stare.

'Don't you think you ought to be helpin' around here instead of standing and staring?' He puffed on his cigarette.

Shouldn't you be too, I thought. Amy spoke up. 'She's injured. She shouldn't even be out here.'

'She looks fine to me.' Ed sneered.

'Why don't you go on back to the RV and rest? We don't mind.' Amy smiled at me.

She was younger than me, but I was fond of her. I smiled back and turned without further word. I was injured, and I wanted to help but truth was I just couldn't. Just walking up the slope would leave me out of breath.

'How dare you? Why would you be?' I heard Lori's pissed off voice as I made my way to the slope. I scanned my surroundings and saw her standing with Shane behind a concealment of rocks.

'You are the one that told me that he died! You son of a bitch.' Lori's tone was accusing and hurt.

I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but I couldn't help but stay and listen just a bit longer. But Lori then turned from around a rock and stopped short when she saw me. It was obvious on my face that I had heard what she'd just happened. She looked a bit surprised, but then her face hardened and she walked away. Whatever was going on between Lori, Shane and Rick did not concern me.

Night had fallen, and after helping out preparing the squirrel my dearest husband had brought back earlier, I was actually exhausted. God, I hated being so weak. But I ate my portion, trying to regain my strength. Lori kept looking at me during our meal with a scrutinising look in her eyes. I knew she was wondering whether I would mention what happened earlier to Rick. After all, Rick and I had developed some kind of bond during our time alone. It would be the right thing to do, wouldn't it? Maybe in a different world, yes. So, after supper I went to her tent. She sat on the floor folding clothes.

'May I come in?' I asked.

Lori's head whipped around and her eyes filled with worry. 'Sure.'

I painfully lowered myself onto the unoccupied camp bed.

'Where's Carl?' I asked her; he wasn't in the tent.

'He's helping Dale with a few things. I think he was promised sweets.' Lori smiled a mother's smile to herself, and then stopped, realising what my presence probably meant. I decided to get to the point.

'About earlier on...' I started. 'I don't want to know, because it's none of my business, but I just wanted to let you know that I won't be retelling any of it to Rick.'

Lori frowned. 'Why not?'

I sighed, 'I trust you'll sort it out.' And with that I got up and left the tent.

Back in the RV Dale and Carl were packing away items that were borrowed from the RV, and Andrea and Amy were seated on the couch, talking like sisters would. I sat down next to Amy and gave her a weak smile.

'I meant to ask, but I guess I kinda forgot, are you Latina?' Amy asked at me.

I smiled. I got asked that question a lot because of my black hair and tanned skin. 'Half. My dad was Latin, or so I was told.'