Chapter 8 [Celeste's POV]

We're at breakfast. Chewing hungrily on Mary's pancakes, me and Lues grip each others hands under the table. Mary is watching us. Then she rolls her eyes and speaks.

"So what are your real names?" she asks.

"What?" we say in unison.

"You told me your names were Thomas and Clair last night, but don't give me that rubbish. You're a demon and an angel and you're in love." We stare at her openmouthed. "Oh, come on," she says impatiently. "A pale, dark-haired boy and a beautiful blonde girl claiming they are brother and sister while they are obviously in love. I've seen too much of this sort of thing before."

Lues looks at her. "And are you going to tell?"

"I have no patience with people who tell others who to love. Do as you wish."

Me and Lues share a smile.

*

I'm helping a little boy who fell over in the playground. Lues is watching with a bored look and setting fire to the swings.

"Lues. Have you forgotten what happened the last time you set something on fire in public?" I look pointedly at his leg.

He winces. "I could have dealt with them ... they had crucifixes."

I sigh. "Well you can't really blame them. You are a demon. And stop vandalizing the play park."

He huffs. "Fine. I'll go wander round the woods, okay?"

"Don't get yourself killed." I warn.

"Why do you fuss so much?"

"Because ..." I can feel myself blushing again.

He smirks. "You're blushing!"

"Go away," I snap.