27

ASHER

ASHER

The month of December seemed to pass by in flash as Aurora and I spent time together. Between classes finishing up, studying, seeing Aurora and football, my days were pretty packed full. I'd never tell Aurora of stress about my busy schedule, she had enough on her plate at the moment. The ever-looming trial was constant in the back of our minds, no matter how much we tried to distract ourselves.

Despite all of this, Aurora was as bright as ever. She laughed openly at cute dogs on the street, she smiled brightly when someone held the door open for her, and looked at me in a way I never thought would be possible. I had become quite content with the idea of being alone for the rest of my life, since casual hookups were contently passing me along. I'd accepted the feeling of loneliness I held, thinking that it was normal to want to be loved but not actually knowing how to achieve it. Mom had always said that it would come at the right time, and how everything happened when it was supposed to. I always thought it was just something she would say to make me feel better, until now. Aurora has saved herself, and then saved me.

Getting to know Aurora also meant spending time with her friends. Cassidy was a sweetheart and despite my initial objections, actually seemed to be hitting off with my best friend. It was nice to see Aurora and I's friends getting along, along I'd expect no love between Sophia and Alex. Good help the man who fell in love with that little firecracker. And as for Alex, he hadn't been around too much since things had gotten serious with Aurora. He and Tyler saw him at practice but other than that Alex seemed to be partying it up like the three of them used to do. The power of the right woman I suppose.

The season for our team was heating up, with a game against our division rivals looming, only a few days after the sentencing actually. My coach had pulled me in for a few chats about the NFL now, and my invitation to the combine in February. It was what was expected of me and had been my dream for so long, but now I wasn't just thinking about myself, but also Aurora. Which was why she couldn't know. Aurora would drop everything to make sure I achieved my dream, sacrificing her own and her mental well being in the process. And besides, she worried enough already.

For Christmas we went to my parents again. Aurora threw her own 'Christmas' with Sophia and Cassidy the day before we set off, cooking a dinner all on her own and exchanging some gifts. She got that little bossy frown on her face when I asked if she wanted me to help her cook it, shooing me away with her hand as I chuckled.

Our drive to my parents was nothing short of a disaster. Between Aurora and I arguing over who's fault it was that we left the presents behind, and then getting caught in a hailstorm, we were very grateful to arrive at my parent's house. A sentence I never thought I would ever say.

Christmas however couldn't have been anything less than wonderful. Aurora beamed as she gave her gifts to my family, and welled up as Yasmin clung to her like a little koala as she received her princess castle. It was a tough time of year for her but she still found a way to enjoy it. Our gifts to each other were a step further. We had agreed not to spend too much on each other but I, of course, ignored that entirely. She gifted me with a photo album she had made of our relationship so far. It was designed so intricately I could only guess how long it had taken her. Along with that she bought me a black puffer coat I had been admiring when we had gone shopping, and a beanie hat in our schools colours.