08

AURORA

AURORA

I didn't know much about football. In the little time I did spend here at college I never got around to going to a game, but no matter where you went you always heard about their roaring success. Freshman quarterbacks were rare but somehow Asher Monroe managed to defy odds and not only break that stereotype, but also succeed while doing it. I'd never seen him play, but Cass and Soph had brought me up to speed on how good he actually was. Which was very.

I however found comfort in life's simple pleasures, like a piano or the feeling of a wave washing over your back while in the surf.

We were opposites through and through. He thrived in the in the loud, chaotic, high pressure games, where everyone's chance was on the line and the crowd cheered his name. Whereas I was contented with the quiet. The stillness of the ocean on a clear day was soothing. The sound of waves crashing on the distant shore gentle but consistent. The ocean was broad and vast and beautiful. It teamed with life below as I was only a scratch on the surface above. It could be vast but furious, endless but relentless, peaceful but alien. But it was home to me.

As I walked back from class the Alabama sun was hot. I was lucky that my skin was lightly sun-kissed, a permanent remanent from Maui. Asher's game was tonight, so none of the football boys could be seen galavanting around campus with a football, they were no doubt prepping for the night ahead. For some reason I missed being able to watch him from a afar; laughing and joking around with his friends.

God, now I really sound like a stalker.

When I arrived back at my dorm I flopped onto my bed with a sigh. Picking up my phone I decided to ring Sophia.

"Hello?" She answered

"What does one where to an Asher Monroe football game?"

"Something slutty."

"Sophia!" I gasped.

"What? A low cut top might surprise him a little." I could feel her smiling down the phone from where I was lying.

I sat up and moved to my wardrobe. Stifling through the clothes I sighed, "I literally don't even think I own one."

"I have plenty you can borrow."

"Of course you do." It was no secret that Sophia was a magnet for guys, which didn't stop Cassidy and I's teasing every now and then.

"No seriously I have a whole collection you haven't seen—"

A small pause of silence occurred. I took no offence to her words, I knew she didn't mean it the way she thought it had come across.