Chapter 6: Desert Storm

Author Note: I was editing Chapters 1 and 2 when I realized I ended up making a whole new chapter lol. So, please check out the new version of Chapter 1 and the edited Chapter 2 after finishing this new chapter.

Thanks, Vaz

***

The night engulfed the town of Al Nabk as the pair of UH-60 Black Hawks hugged the valley below. Archer felt the familiar vibrations of the helicopter as he clutched his MK18. The pilots at the front were making use of their dual NVGs on the barren desert. Archer appreciated the pilots' talent to fly in these conditions, even though he trained with the Night Stalkers. "Skyhawk 1 to Actual, one klick out to DZ." One pilot reported on the radio with his superior giving the code word, "Marlow."

"Roger that." The pilot looked back at Archer, one of the few operators still awake, "All Spur and Rainbow units, be advised, Marlow. I say again, Marlow."

Archer nodded to the pilot and nudged his team awake. Archer shook Elena awake as her eyes flickered open and struggled to focus on the man in front of her. 

"Game time." Archer winked, and she avoided eye contact as her cheeks warmed, luckily it blended in with the red hue. 

He opened the side door and spotted the second Black Hawk flying parallel to theirs, which also had its side doors slid open. Cicero gave Archer the 'Shaka' hand sign from the other helo, which he returned. That was a typical thing for Special Operators, at least Americans, to do.

The two Black Hawks came to a landing in a field nearby Al Nabk. Archer flipped down his goggles from his helmet and planted his feet in the sand. The rest of Rainbow exited the helicopter and knelt while scanning the area. After all the Cold Harbor operators exited their helo, Skyhawk 1 and 2 took off. "Skyhawks are RTB. Good huntin' y'all" One pilot announced over comms, as they left the Area of Operation.

Feeling a chill down his spine, Archer rolled his sleeves back down to his wrists. He switched on the PEQ-15 on the front of his rifle. The laser designator gave off a solid beam of light that only night vision goggles could pick up, so he could aim his rifle without looking down the sights. The other operators did the same, turning the night sky into a light show.

Cicero started walking backward while facing his team. "Let's make this quick people," Cicero said into the radio as he turned back around and his team of mercenaries followed behind him.

***

Meanwhile, on the sunny island of Cayo Herra, the clear blue waves crashed against the white sands as General Yankov Romavich stared off the coast. Hearing a helicopter landing nearby, he tossed his Cuban cigar in the sand and walked back to the Operations Center.

Romavich entered the air-conditioned building at the same time three masked operators did. "Limonov is dead," One man reported as he pulled off his balaclava, revealing his prominent scar on the left side of his face, "The gas is gone too. I told you we should have bagged that damn American when we had the chance."

"Calm down, Caiaphas. I can handle one spook," Romavich shifted his view to the TV screen that broadcasted a live drone feed. "Remember our contact in Syria? He's had an idea," Caiaphas' expression hardly changed.

"What?" Caiaphas unloaded his AK-12 and placed it in the rack with other Kalshinkovs.

"You'll see" 

***

The MQ-9 Reaper, callsign 'Switchblade', flew at a steady height of 50,000 feet in the air. It observed the operators below that gave off blinking IR strobes. Meanwhile, the operators below had entered Al Nabk.

"Watch those rooftops," Glaz suggested while sweeping the roofs with his HK417. The teams slowly made their way to the edge of the compound. A dog was barking in the distance that probably picked up the raiders' scent.