Chapter 19: No Peace Unto the Wicked

Three Years Ago

The night was falling on Port Sudan and gunfire still echoed from the city. Word had spread around the Base about the losses. Everyone had the same thoughts in their mind, but no one spoke of them. Except for the newly Sergeant First Class West, who had the rest of the Disciple Team behind him, minus Reyes.

Most of the soldiers on base were gathered at a huge bonfire next to the tarmac. West had the intention of rallying the rest of Task Force Haint, and maybe the other Rangers and Night Stalkers, who were in the larger Task Force Yankee that encompassed Haint, for a rescue mission. It would be against Command's orders, but something needed to be done soon.

West whistled for everyone's attention. Several Army Rangers and Night Stalkers looked to see what was happening.

"Listen up! Most of you've heard the news that we lost some guys in the Port. Forty-four. Three confirmed KIAs, including our CO, Lambert." A couple of soldiers dropped their heads or looked away.

"Lambert wanted me to take his position, so I'm gonna honor his wish. Now, as for the rescue effort, there's a plane full of jarheads on the way, but they won't arrive until sunrise. Chances are... they won't last that long out there."

"What are you suggesting, West?" A SEAL asked with his arms crossed.

"I think you all know what I'm asking," West responded.

An Army Ranger yelled from behind the crowd that had now congregated around the fire, "I'm all for going, but we don't even know where they are, assuming they're still alive."

"Actually we picked up a large heat signature on the shipping docks. Looked like a mass holding area. Command wanted us to keep it on the down-low." A Night Stalker said, clenching his pilot helmet under his arm. The crowd began to murmur.

"Whose gonna fly you in any way?" Chief Warrant Officer José Estevez grinned. He was the pilot of the Black Hawk that usually flew Disciple Squadron.

"We were hoping you would, Joe," West responded.

"We're the only crew crazy enough to haul you there. So, hell yeah. We're in!" Estevez and his crew nodded in agreement.

West had to tell the bad part, "I probably don't need to tell you guys, but this isn't sanctioned. What we do tonight could be held against us. The General could discharge every one of us."

"I've lost too many of my Rangers out there. I'm gonna bring back all of them, or die trying. You've got my Rangers support." Commander Hardgrave said with his heavy Southern drawl.

"We're in too," Lieutenant John Forge shouted from across the fire. Forge was the Commander of the Navy SEALs in TF Haint. He undoubtedly had some sailors taken captive or killed.

"Good. We'll set out in one hour or less. Get geared up and mentally ready. Spread the word, but try to keep Command in the dark for as long as possible. Maybe we'll be out before they knew what happened." West said as the soldiers began moving out to help in some way.

"Hardgrave, Forge, and Estevez, let's beat out a plan of some sort. The rest of you, move out!"

Suddenly the whole crowd dispersed to load up humvees, fuel up the helicopters, and other things.

"Well, you got your army. Let's kick some ass." Cicero patted West on the back.

West couldn't but feel sort of guilty about influencing them into battle. Some of them might die because of him. No, they volunteered, West tried to tell himself.

In the distance, West spotted General Vega's friend, the shady Spook type. What was his name? It didn't matter.

West was worried for a minute that Spook would rat on him, but his expression said otherwise. It was blank, observant. Like he wasn't on any side. Like he was completely neutral.