Chapter 20: Empty Quiver

Three Years Ago

Hiding a mission from command was no easy task, but they managed to make it work. The Night Stalkers would sneak in Disciple Team under the guise of the routine night patrol over the city, which they were still scouting for any survivors. Forge's six other SEALs were able to sneak out their RHIBs from the beach next to the Headquarters.

West and his men boarded the Black Hawks and set a course to the hospital they had tried to defend earlier that morning. The objective was to recover any injured operators and civilians. Reconnaissance suggested that rebels had taken hold of the area and taken hostages. The SEALs on the other hand would storm the docks from their RHIBs and rescue the other hostages. 

A Marine Scout Sniper named Cpl. Tyler Morris accompanied Disciple Squadron in West's old position. His undermanned Scout Sniper Platoon was also MIA, so he was eager for the first opportunity to save his friends.

They had no air support other than Estevez and three other UH60s escorting them. No drone support or AC-130 gunship support, unless West wanted to face the punishment of basically committing a mutiny. West was fully prepared to break the silence with Command if it meant saving his men, but at the moment they were confident in their ability to complete the mission. West would take the blame once they were back. General Vega would be rightly pissed off, even if the mission went flawlessly. 

West looked out the side door at Port Sudan. Flames and gunfire radiated from the city. They were heading into Hell, and they volunteered for it. 

"Remember why we're here, boys. We're here for those back home. Some of them will lose their fathers and sons." West said over the radio to his men, including the SEALs still heading towards their objective. "We're the most dangerous people here tonight. We're the reason those rebels have to question if they're about to die when they hear a sound in the darkness. We own the night. We are the night. We do this for vengeance, not for Uncle Sam. Tonight we are not soldiers, we are not sailors, we are not marines. We are angels of death. Own it."

West concluded his speech, hoping he emboldened someone.

"Hooah, Sergeant," one of the Black Hawk pilots said.

"Right on," a SEAL said over the engine of the RHIB.

"Hell, yeah," Cicero said, fist-bumping Kolinski.

"Nicely put, West. You've got all my frogmen pumped on this end." Forge said gruffly. He wasn't a very enthusiastic guy.

The Night Stalkers picked the darkest street to land, as they were the least occupied. Most of the drugged-up rebels would be popping off shots around the large fires. It was how the enemy 'partied'. West had seen it before in the lower parts of Africa. 

West was the first out, dropping his NODs, turning the world around him a bright green. His team followed suit. He was running his CQB HK416 instead of his marksman setup. West was expecting to get up close and personal and Morris had the marksman role covered with his M110. They scanned the empty homes as the Black Hawk took back off scattering sand all over the place. West was glad he brought his goggles. 

Once things settled, West checked his ATAK on his plate carrier finding the hospital a couple of blocks down and to the right. The automatic gunfire nearby meant that someone had to have heard the UH-60 approach and leave. They had to move quickly.

West relocated his men to an abandoned building until they got on the same page. West got into a decent spot as his teammates covered all entries to the building.

 "Disciple, this is One. Check-in." West keyed his mic.

"Disciple Two, check," said Cicero.

"Disciple Three, check," Besson checked in.