Chapter Four

After a couple minutes of Trevor's hectic driving and you clinging onto the door handle for dear life, you arrived at a furniture and mattress store. 

"You know I could have just walked, right? Give me about thirty minutes and I'll be out," you told him. 

"No way," he declared, getting out of the truck with you, "I know the manager. Chairs break a lot in my home, not my fault, by the way. All Wade's fault. He'll give you a fair deal if he sees me." 

"Fine, I guess," you muttered, figuring he was honestly just going in for the air conditioning. You opened the door and held it open with your fingertips as you walked in. A larger man with small glasses and pursed lips looked at you, then the man behind you, and sighed. 

"I told you two days ago, Trevor, the next shipment of those chairs you like is coming in three days," the man monotonously informed him. 

"Well, then, it's a good fuckin' thing I'm not looking for chairs!" Trevor laughed before quickly regaining an impossible-to-read face. "This... lovely lady... needs a mattress, a boxspring, a bedframe,  a couch, pillows, a table, and chairs. I don't give a shit  which chairs, just chairs." You looked at him incredulously as he rattled off the list.

"I can't afford all that!" you whispered in annoyance. "I only have two grand left, and I'll still need to pay my rent for next month." 

He shrugged and looked at you. "Like I said, my pal Randy'll give you a discount."

You, Randy, and Trevor walked around the store and ticked off the boxes of your needs and wants list one by one; you made sure to choose the least expensive things so you could afford food and save up for a car that was actually registered in your name. 

The final item you needed to get was a mattress. The store was somewhat cramped; it only had three mattress options. "Take your time trying them," Randy had told you. "I'll be at the front desk getting the other items you're purchasing ready to take home." 

You felt like Goldilocks as you gazed at the three mattresses; one of these had to be "just right"... right? You sat down on one, bouncing on it to get a feel for the softness and durability. You almost fell over as Trevor jumped up on the mattress and began squealing while hopping on it like an excited four-year-old. You stifled a laugh and had to admit the sight of a grown, tattooed man jumping up and down like that was pretty amusing. 

"You can jump on it once I buy it. I need to make sure I don't get one that fucks my back up," you giggled. He said nothing, simply jumping to the one beside you instead. After trying all three mattresses, you eventually chose one. 

"Alright," Randy began at the cash register, "your total is $2,100." Your stomach dropped, and you realized you'd have to take a few things off the list.

"No it's not, Randy. I did the math, and it's gonna be $500," Trevor argued with a vexed smirk. 

"Well, I did the math too. $2,100 or get out," Randy replied, devoid of any emotion. Trevor reached over the register counter, grabbed Randy by his shirt, and dragged him outside, where he started to shout, yelling words you couldn't quite make out. You watched in astonishment through the glass door, not sure what Randy's fate was about to be. After several moments, Randy came in with a bloody nose and a smile and told you, "I believe my math was wrong. I added an extra zero. It'll be $210 total. I apologize for the inconvenience, ma'am."

"That's miss ma'am to you, Randy!" Trevor shouted. You gave Randy the $210 agreed upon and began loading it into the back of the Bodhi, Trevor helping without asking. As he assisted you, you took notice of how his upper body was surprisingly muscular. "This is just a free trial, first month premium is free on me," Trevor said with a  wink.