Chapter 34

Remi

I get out of the fitting room and model the ruby-red off shoulder dress that comes a few inches above my knees to Gem, who smiles, satisfied. After I got a new phone number and a good sum of dollars, we went shopping. I've tried on about more than eighty clothes and we both have decided on about twenty of them. I haven't had this much fun with a girl ever. Gem and I had gotten to know each other as well as sisters in a day.

"Why do I even need a dress, anyway?" I ask her, loving how the dress suits me.

Gem winks at me. "You don't need it but the dress looks good on you, so why shouldn't you buy it?"

After I pay for the clothes, we head out towards Gem's car. We throw all of the shopping bags into the trunk. "So, are we going to the hotel I'm staying in?" I ask Gem as we get in, shutting the doors.

"No."

"Then where are we going?" I ask, confused.

Gem chuckles and smirks at me. "Be patient, girl."

About five minutes later, Gem stops the car right in front of a salon. "What are we doing here?" I ask as we get out.

"I'm here to re-dye my hair since the colour is fading a little, and you're here to entertain me." Gem says as if it's obvious. I touch my long, wavy, natural hair.

I never dyed it...

"Can I also dye my hair?" I ask her. "Dad never let me." I mutter softly.

"Why are you asking me? It's your choice! Of course you can dye your hair!" Gem exclaims. "You need to be rebellious at times, it's good for your mental health. Besides, you're an adult, Remi. You don't need to follow whatever your old man orders you to do."

If only it was that simple...

"So, what's your favourite colour? Is it black? I've noticed that you mostly select dark colours.... Even that red dress was a dark red." Gem asks me as we sit on the saloon chairs.

It's because dad wants me to wear dark clothes for the jobs... I guess I like dark clothes too.

Like father like daughter.

No! I'm nothing like him. Am I?

"I've always worn dark clothes... My favourite colour is purple, dark purple." I tell her.

"Okay, so idea. You can dye your hair tips in a dark purple ombre. It'll look epic." Gem says, types something into her phone and shows me pictures of how my hair could look like.

"I love it!" I tell her, excited to finally get my hair coloured. I stare at my hair in the mirror. I've always had it cut straight, what if I try something new?

"Gem, do you think it'll suit me if I cut my hair into layers?" I ask for her opinion.

"Hmm... Your hair is naturally wavy and with layers.... I think it'll look gorgeous!" Gem exclaims loudly, not caring about the glares other customers in the salon are giving her. "It's good to try something new every once in a while." She tells me.

"Are you dying your hair a different color?" I ask her.

"No, I've tried a lot of colours already. This shade of rose-gold suits me best... Someone told me that, anyways." She says a bit sadly.

Was that someone possibly Finn?

"Well, that person is absolutely correct. It suits you beautifully!" I declare to which she smirks and we both sit in a comfortable silence for a few seconds. "Can I ask you something?" I ask her softly.