Chapter 14: We've gotta go our own ways, Troy

After seeing the incident between Troy and Sharpay, Grace had done all she could to avoid the both of them. She had left Sharpay and Troy's texts and calls unanswered. Now, all she could do was to move on from the incident and try to avoid her sadness. Her friends had rehearsal with Ryan so decided to join in and watch, even joined in with the dancing. The rehearsal finished and Grace came up to Ryan. Grace smiled and said to Ryan, "That was so much fun, Ryan. You did a good job." Ryan followed Grace out and replied, "I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm sorry about what happened last night. Andrew told me what happened. Just so you know, I have already went off on my sister for it if that helps." Grace sighed and said, "There was nothing you could have done, Ryan. What happened, happened. It was Troy's own fault." Ryan only watched his friend walk off with sadness. In his time of knowing Grace and seeing her with Troy, it seemed as if the two were meant for each other but now, it seems that it wasn't. And it was all thanks to his sister. That evening, Grace was having dinner with her family when Taylor had come up to her with a piece of paper. Taylor already gave the bad news to her friends, she didn't want to give the bad news to her best friend after she had a rough night. Grace stared at Taylor with confusion and said to Taylor, "What's wrong, Tay?" Taylor hesitantly gave Grace the piece of paper then stepped back. Grace read the paper, anger and annoyance boiling inside her. This had Sharpay written all over it.

She excused herself from her family, who all watched her with confusion and concern, and stormed away to find Sharpay. She found Sharpay with her 'girls' by the pool, laughing and giggling. Grace glared at the group of girls and shouted at Sharpay, storming over to her, "Sharpay!!!!" The giggling and laughing ceased when the girls saw Grace storm over to her. Grace crossed her arms and said to Sharpay, "You wanna explain to me what was the meaning of canceling the talent show and not allowing the employees to join? Ryan worked his arse off for that." Sharpay rolled her eyes and replied, "Oh, boo-hoo. Ryan will be in the show, he can do his celebrity impersonations. Don't you lecture me about Ryan. You have no say in that when you have NEARLY caused Troy to LOSE his job." Grace was taken back and said, raising her eyebrow, "I beg your pardon?" Sharpay replied, smirking, "You've gotten Troy written up by Fulton mutliple times for your nightly swims and picnic on the golf course. I did what I had to do to save Troy from losing his job." Grace scoffed and said, "The bloody hell you did. Ever since I came to East High, you have nonstop tried to make my life miserable no matter how hard I tried to become friends with you. When Troy and I started dating, you couldn't stand it and wanted what we had. But, this game you're playing, I don't want to play it. So, there you have it. You can have Troy and this fancy idea you have of a romantic relationship. When you see that you have lost the rhythm and beat, it will be too late. With that being said, I'm leaving. I hope you have a great life." Grace went to leave but stopped. She said, "Oh, wait. There's something I seem to have forgotten." The girl turned around and slapped Sharpay on the girl's cheek. Sharpay let out a gasp and placed her hand on her cheek. She glared at Grace and said, storming off with her 'girls' following her, "Girls!"

Grace watched in satisfaction as Sharpay and her posse stormed away from the pool, leaving Grace. Grace went to leave but stopped when she heard Troy's voice. Troy said to Grace, running up to her, "Hey, what do you mean  you're out? You can't leave." Grace turned around and replied, "Us being together at the same place sounded great, Troy. The talent show sounded like a great idea for Sharpay and apparently now for your future too." Troy said, sadness written all over his face, "Hey, I'm still me." Grace sighed and replied, "If blowing off your friends and missing dates is still you, then it's good to know." Troy tried to come up with an excuse and said, "I was only doing that because I had the scholarship thing. You know that, Gracie." Grace replied, sighing, "Troy, there's something you should know. My mother has decided to go to England to talk to my grandmother about continuing her royal duties. We're leaving tonight." Troy's heart shattered. He said, "But, you'll be back......won't you?" Tears began to fill up in Grace's eyes and she replied, "I don't know if I will ever come back, Troy. When you are a royal and you have royal duties, they take up fulltime. Now, we have to go our own ways, Troy."

[Grace, spoken]
Troy...
Listen

(sung)
I gotta say what's on my mind
Life keeps getting in the way
Whenever we try, somehow, the plan
Is always rearranged
It's so hard to say
But I gotta do what's best for me
You'll be okay
I've got to move on and be who I am
I just don't belong here, I hope you understand
We might find a place in this world someday
But, at least for now
I gotta go my own way
(My own way)
Don't wanna leave it all behind
Another color turns to gray
And it's just too hard to watch it all
Slowly fade away
I'm leavin' today
'Cause I gotta do what's best for me
You'll be okay
I've got to move on and be who I am
I just don't belong here, I hope you understand
We might find our place in this world someday
But, at least for now
I gotta go my own way

[TROY]
What about us?
What about everythin' we've been through?

[Grace]
What about trust?

[TROY]
You know I never wanted to hurt you

[Grace]
What about me?

[TROY]
What am I supposed to do?

[Grace with TROY]
I gotta leave but I'll miss you

Grace gave the necklace Troy had given to her in the beginning of summer back to him, placing her hand on his. By this time, she had tears rolling down her cheeks.

[Grace]
Oh
So, I've got to move on and be who I am

[TROY]
Why do you have to go?

[Grace]
I just don't belong here, I hope you understand

[TROY]
I'm trying to understand

Troy looked down at his hand to find the necklace he gave Grace and sadly looked up to find Grace running to the front of the resort.

[Grace]
We might find a place in this world someday
But, at least for now

[TROY]
I want you to stay

[Grace]
I gotta go my own way
I've got to move on and be who I am

[TROY]
What about us?

[Grace]
I just don't belong here, I hope you understand

[TROY]
I'm trying to understand

[Grace]
We might find our place in this world someday (World someday)
But at least for now
I gotta go my own way

Grace reached the limousine where her family was waiting in and got into the vehicle, after a bodyguard closed the door behind her. She looked out of the vehicle window to see Troy running out of the resort. She couldn't bear to see his heartbroken face and she just broke down crying. Upset by seeing her daughter so heartbroken, Katherine wrapped her daughter into her arms, who sobbed into her. The Anderson family just looked at each other with sadness.