Chapter Eight: The Moon

Their water landing had been...less than fortunate.

Maybe that wasn't the right way to refer to it. Maybe it had in fact been fortunate in that they hadn't been burned to a crisp when entering the atmosphere, unfortunate in that they had fallen over just in time to slam into the sea. Evangeline didn't really get time to consider it – or her dream from earlier when she had been knocked out on the ice planet – before they were being plucked from the water. She was just really – really tired of their near death experiences as she held the baby in her lap – eyes heavy with restless sleep in the crowded cockpit.

Their time drifting in space had come to an end though. She was appreciative of that – and appreciative that they were still alive. She looked at the back of Mando's helmet, and she could see his shoulders rising and falling as if he were relieved as well. The entire entry to the planet had been similarly scary to their run in with the New Republic – the New Republic that had rescued them from the spiders...That had given them a chance to survive and had let Mando go with a simple warning...

Good deeds told stories.

And sometimes they repaid themselves in the end.

They were silent in their exit of the ship. Evangeline carried the baby, until Mando took him without a word, finding where the baby's floating cradle had been shoved in the corner during their ordeal. She figured that meant they would be walking for a while, emerging into the grey skies of the estuary moon. Evangeline looked out towards the waters – a deep and gnawing worry mustering itself alive and beginning to breathe life. Water...and the dream. She was beginning to wonder if it had been a vision.

Her mouth shut, as she turned. The Frog Lady was walking away with her eggs and Mando was following her, the cradle trailing. Evangeline tied her cloak a bit tighter before she picked up her pace to keep up with them. Water splashed against the docks, people flitted around both wordfilled and wordless. Most seemed to be aquatic humanoids, which made sense. Her planet back home had mostly been made up of rivers and streams. She had never seen an ocean or a sea – had never smelled so much salt water in the air with the sea breeze clinging.

When Evangeline caught up, they were approaching a Mon Calamari. She figured he was some sort of dock worker – just from his clothing and his stance. Her suspicions were confirmed when he approached and questioned Mando dutifully, "So, how can I help you?"

"Can you fix it?" Mando questioned.

Evangeline looked back at the Razor Crest. It was absolutely ripped to shreds and the outcome looked bleak. She wasn't sure how anyone could fix it, but she supposed nothing was impossible and maybe something could be done if Mando was bothering asking the Mon Calamari. There was a tilt of the creature's head and he looked at Mando in a way that told Evangeline that he thought Mando was very silly for asking such a question...

"Fix it?" The Mon Calamari answered, "No...But I can make it fly."

Mando's hand slowly gave over some credits to the Mon Calamari as he ordered bluntly, "Do what you can."

They walked away, and Evangeline smiled at the Mon Calamari, giving a quiet 'thank you' since Mando didn't offer him one. The Mon Calamari only nodded his head in return before saying, "I'll fuel it up...If it still holds fuel."

Mando and the Frog Lady were moving again. Evangeline could see the Frog Lady scanning the crowd. Evangeline moved beside Mando, looking towards his helmet. She leaned over, trying to grab his gaze as she whispered, "Do you think she knows where her husband is?"

He seemed to be watching her as well. She was shouting in her language, and Mando didn't answer her, just continued to stare. Evangeline felt worry sink in – what if he didn't come? What if it was all for nothing and she lost her babies anyway? Not to mention Mando and the baby...They wouldn't have any other leads to other Mandalorians, and they would be no closer to finding others of the baby's kind. Evangeline wrung her hands together, before spoke softly, "She's scared."