Chapter Thirteen: The Dilemma of Evangeline Sisk

Warning: This chapter is very mature.

***

Evangeline wasn't completely surprised when they didn't go straight to Tython.

She didn't even mind – the 'magic rock' as Mando called it would be waiting, and it wasn't like it could instantaneously bring any Jedi to them anyway. It had sounded like it was just a beacon of sorts, to let any remaining Jedi know that Grogu existed – that he was alive and that he needed a teacher, someone to train him... Though, Evangeline was still holding onto faith that she could be the one to teach Grogu. That maybe he didn't necessarily have to be a Jedi, but she could teach him what she knew instead. Even if their abilities weren't exactly the same, values were values and knowledge was knowledge, something she felt she could pass on. Her mother and grandmother had taught her quite a bit, and Mando didn't seem interested in teaching the baby anything. He kept telling her the baby was too power, that he needed a Jedi to teach him – but she couldn't seem to make him understand that Grogu loved them, and that they loved Grogu and it should have been enough...

Mando was very stubborn though, she had known that after only a few days of meeting him. Which was why she had opted to taking the baby into her cubby when she wanted to show him anything. She hadn't been sure where they were going exactly, but it certainly wasn't Tython quite yet, so she had decided to use the time in a useful manner and teach the baby some things that she had learned when younger...At least try to teach him. She had never tried to teach their ways to anyone else – especially not to someone who had already received training from an entirely different way of being. But if Ahsoka seemed to think they were similar in that they were sensitive to the Force, she didn't see what the issue would be just overlapping some of his skills.

She sat with her legs crossed, and she placed her hands on her knees where she had set Grogu in front of her. His head tilted at her, and he cooed lightly, causing her to smile at him. The past several days – well, ever since she had met Ahsoka Tano, she had been filled with a heavy anxiety that loomed. But...Evangeline had decided something...

She simply would pretend what Ahsoka had told her wasn't true.

It sounded like denial – and Evangeline knew it was denial. But she certainly wasn't going to tell Mando, and so the only other choice was to pretend nothing was different. Besides, she had other things to worry about. She needed to convince Mando she was capable of teaching the baby herself, that they were both capable of being what he needed – or else Mando would give him over to a Jedi. That was the whole reason they were going to Tython after all...So she didn't have much time. She figured they would probably put him on the stone...And it would contact the Jedi, but they could always say no to the Jedi taking Grogu. Even Ahsoka had been in support of Grogu not being trained in the ways of the Jedi...That it could turn people if they had fear within them, and they could harm people. So...it only made sense that she teach him the ways of the Seers...A pacifistic way of life, and while it made her virtually useless to Mando and fighting the Empire...It was still using an ability that was apparently from the Force.

She wondered if her mother and grandmother knew of the Force...If they knew that was where their abilities came from, or if they just chose to ignore it. She wondered why she had never questioned why they could do what they could do – she had mostly just been taught their history and ways to use their connection to those around them to feel emotions, thoughts, memories, and the future. Grogu didn't have to learn to be a part of a warrior religion. Mando was the only one trying to make him a Jedi because he had been quested to do so. But she was pretty sure that was far before their attachments to the Child had grown so deep.

Evangeline took a deep breath, and she started to speak, "Okay...So, I bet you're wondering why I've shut us in here."

The baby only made a small sound in response. She doubted he was wondering, he never seemed to wonder – just went along with what she did. Evangeline continued, "I'm gonna teach you some stuff today. The very basics I guess...I'm not actually sure where I started when I was little – just a lot of quiet time. A lot of learning to listen to people and get a grasp on them, so I think we should do that today."