Chapter Thirty-Two: The Ruckus

Warning: This chapter is very mature!

***

A week passed.

Evangeline had felt the days grow together, it had almost gotten to the point she no longer remembered what it was like before everything. Before Din had decided they would be better off in the domed city of Mandalore. Honestly, even she hadn't known how she had passed the time. Much of it was spent entertaining Grogu, who seemed to absolutely adore their new home – which Evangeline was at least happy about that. It made her glad to see him get excited to go in the garden, and to hide under furniture because there was so much of it. To see him waddle down the endless corridors as if he was fascinated with the multitude of twists and turns. Having him there made it feel less like the prison it had become in their first several days...And maybe she had felt somewhat comfortable...

Also, they hadn't been expected at anymore events, not until the wedding. She suspected Din had something to do with that. He still went to many meetings, and he spent a lot of time irritated with Bo-Katan and her demands. Evangeline hardly ever saw the woman and still had not been able to thank her for helping her that night at the arena, though she didn't know if Bo-Katan wanted to be thanked. She had looked more freaked out than anything from what Evangeline remembered of that night.

It didn't help she had gotten so pregnant...And Din had gotten oddly high strung about the whole thing. Especially resting, and the physician had come back twice since everything, per Din's demands. Asking over and over again if the delivery would be smooth and wanting to know everything that could go wrong, which Evangeline covered her ears during. She didn't want to know what could go wrong.

She felt like she was smothering, but she allowed it, because she knew how anxious he was. She could feel it inside of him, almost as if he was boiling over. She had also noticed a slow accumulation of baby things that Marzia and Erian kept delivering, despite her having not even thought of such things – but apparently Din had asked for stuff to be brought, including a separate cradle, which saddened her because she had wanted Grogu and the new baby to be together. She supposed they still could. But they had brought clothing as well – tiny...even tinier than Grogu and his new clothes. Which she could not imagine holding something so little.

It was late, the night before the wedding she stood in their dim bedroom, the lamp near the bed turned on and illuminating the walls in orange. Grogu snored, as she held one of the soft white baby blankets to her chest, running her hands over it near the pile of things they had collected from her ladies. She smoothed the blanket over her stomach, mind reaching out to the baby. Its feet were pressing to her sides, she knew it was stretching. She could sense its discomfort. Evangeline sighed...rubbing where she felt its feet. She couldn't decide if she wanted the baby to be born or if she wanted it to stay in there forever. She was so scared to actually have it, but looking at the clothes and the blankets...she imagined how much she loved it. Despite being terrified to be a mother.

"What's wrong?" Evangeline hummed to the baby, "Don't you want to stay with Mama forever?"

Her eyes drifted from her stomach to the side, smoothing over the baby inside of her, "It's safer in there, you know? No one can see you...or judge you. Your Papa won't feel pressured to train you."

Truthfully, as attached as he was to his Creed she got the feeling he had no interest in training their child and would probably only do it for tradition's sake...Or the sake of when he swore his Creed. Their wedding vows, after all, made them swear to raise their children as warriors, but she sensed he was hesitant about it...And not just because of her, but because he was worried about the child getting hurt. She wondered if that was why he had made no more attempts to teach her anything. And had no desire to train Grogu himself. Maybe he knew the pressures and the fear and the dangers of the life he had lived...And wished not to pass it onto his children.