Chapter 17

ANEMONE

" So where exactly are we in the human world Beta ?" Kairus had no problem keeping up as he ran on his feet alongside us, his blue flame still burning bright and lighting the path for us.

The streets we were previously on were left behind us and an hour or so we were already journeying down the thick woods. Aiden easily maneuvered his way against the dark while I struggled on his back to look past the trees even with Kairus' flame guiding our way. Kairus too seemed to move at ease except for the few times where he bumped against the animals sleeping peacefully along the way.

A screech or two here and there and an annoyed groan from Kairus everytime he bumped into something were the only sounds that kept us company through the cold. Hugging tight against Aiden's neck was doing little to keep me warm and I could feel myself on the verge of freezing and falling off his back.

"Massachusetts."

Aiden's reply came in a hum after a pregnant pause of Kairus trying to catch up with us. Aiden was purposely trying to loose Kairus as he ran everywhere in the woods against the trail left by the hunters and animals.

He let out an annoyed sound each time Kairus caught up to us, darting from side to side to loose him but failed miserably.

" Nice Try Beta." The smirk behind Kairus' voice seemed to irk Aiden more but this time he gave up knowing Kairus would only catch up.

He slowed down and ran along the trail with Kairus right besides us. They made eye contact for a split second of time and seemed to come to an agreement, nodding their heads at each other before turning away from the other and towards their original path.

It was almost comical how they suddenly agreed to something without having the need to say it out loud.

" Are we almost there ?" The words sounded weird in my own head as I tried to communicate with Aiden.

I wasn't sure whether the mind link was still intact but something at the back of my mind told me that Aiden would hear me despite the lack of connection. That I wouldn't need a mind link for Aiden to hear me.

" Ane ?" Aiden sounded unsure which proved that the mind link was indeed shut off by him. He seemed shocked at the same time too when I hummed in response.

His mind was full of confused thoughts, unclear and buzzy making my head ache ever so slightly as I tried to pin point out certain words. The noises in his mind forced me to shut down the link and I shook my head and blinked several times to rid myself of the ache.

I palmed my head and massaged my temple lightly as Aiden slowed down to walk. He seemed to be in pain too but calmed himself down to slow breaths. Kairus' flame grew brighter and hotter as he neared us.

He looked at us in concern and patted my back as though comforting me. His hands were warm against my back, most probably because he was heating himself up.

" What happened ?" Kairus asked to no one in particular but it was Aiden who decided to answer.

" Ane forced his way inside my head. That was painful as hell." Aiden shook his head as though trying to shake off the pain and unease.

" I'm really sorry. I didn't know what I was doing." It was the truth. I knew I could hear his thoughts even without the mind link but I never knew that talking to him without a proper mind link meant forcing my way inside his head.

It felt fine at first until his jumbled mess of a mind clashed along with my intrusion. His thoughts that were all over the place from the forced link affected us both in ways we were never aware off.