Chapter 4

Anemone

Pain exploded my face and flooded my eyes with tears as I fell onto the tilted floors. I blinked rapidly to hold my tears back as I stared at the fist that was still held in air. The stinging sensation on my back from the impact of hitting the floor threatened to bring another round of tears but I bit my lip to not look pathetic as I cowered my gaze away.

I choked back a cry while cupping my throbbing cheek knowing that a bruise was forming on my face from where the Alpha had punched me.

I wanted to say I was shocked because the Alpha had punched me without reason since the last thing I remembered was sitting besides my dad. But knowing me, I must've done something unintentionally to piss off the Alpha. Things like that happened often because I usually tend to drift off while in the middle of a conversation but this was the first time someone had actually punched me.

A whimper left me as I crawled back against the counter when the Alpha's mate reached his hands towards me. I didn't need another punch for something I had no memory of. Atticus pushed his mate off with a glare, lips pursed tightly in a straight line in annoyance  while carefully placing himself closer besides me.

" I won't hurt you !" His assurance was closely followed by a hug. His hands on my back moved in circles to soothe my emotional pain while his head rested on mine to whisper soft apologies in my ears.

" Fuck you Lucas ! You should've seen what he was doing before punching him off." The Luna hissed at his mate with narrowed eyes as he guided me towards the lounge.

A pack member followed him with an ice pack while his Alpha blinked at his clear body owlishly. Confusion was soon overtaken by surprise then happiness and a beautiful smile grazed his lips.

The Alpha, all plastered in smiles and grin made his way towards me and hugged me along with his mate who scowled in annoyance.

" I'm really sorry Anemone I didn't know what you were doing." The guilt in his voice made my heart ache and I accepted his apology despite not knowing what actually went down.

" It's ok ! But why did you punch me !"
My perplexed expression was a clear give away as the whole gang stared at me in shock. They stared at me as though I was dumb or something but I tried my best not to let it bother me.

" Don't you remember what you did?" Atticus voiced out placing me on the couch next to him.

With tilted head and scrunched eyebrows I shook my head.
" I remember sitting in the chair then feeling the punch."

" What about what happened in between ?" He asked again and I shook my head in response.

" Uh -then do you still remember what happened yesterday?" The question came from the Alpha whose confusion was clear in his face like his mate and  the rest of the pack. Only my dad seemed normal and calm about this whole situation.

" I remember running out the back door and uh - my dad holding me. After that it's all blank."

Honestly it was painful not really knowing what had happened. There was a huge gap in my memory and even trying to fill that gap was painful. A migraine was starting to form by even forcing myself to recollect what happened those long hours. I was sure I didn't sleep for the whole day and night.

The lack of knowledge bothered me because the pack was still staring at me as though I had done something horrible. My vision blurred as I stared at dad for an answer who smiled in response making his way towards me.

" It's ok dear. You didn't do anything wrong." His deep baritone was only slightly clearer than a hum and he took his place besides me.

" Is this normal ?" The unmistakable voice of the beta spoke out from around the corner.
His red hair was a heavenly mess as his hazel eyes stared at me in awe.