Chapter 13

Anemone

Winter's cold body wasn't that far away by the time I opened my eyes so I was drowsily staring at his pale chest. His upper body was devoid of any clothing unlike his lower body which was covered in silk ivory material.

His arms were thrown over me limply and would fall over if I scooted back so I stayed still to bask in his cold touch. The sun was streaming down the window directly on Winter making his blonde hair look like a halo. He was still in a deep sleep looking so serene that I had to stop my fingers from tracing down his angelic face.

Ever so often a frown would mar his face and disturb his beauty peaking my interest on what he could possibly be dreaming. He was beautiful and there was no denying that but the frown and pain on his face ached my heart so I forcefully removed my gaze from his.

Winter's room was painfully bright. The whitewashed walls surrounding us like warm blanket of clouds while the blue curtains falling down the floors like waterfall. His mahogany furniture stood out in deep contrast to his walls but didn't lessen the beauty of the room itself.

Everything in the room was so bright that I had to blink my eyes a few times so that I wasn't blinded by it. As much as I enjoyed Winter's cool company I was tired of lying in bed for so long. Plus I was feeling much better than yesterday so I decided to take a quick shower and visit the library.

Winter's vanilla scented shampoo was the only thing I could find in his bathroom so I quickly applied the formula all over my hair and body. The sweet aroma danced about the tilted room and brought a calming feeling on its return.

Having nothing to wear I slipped back my old ones and tip toed out of Winter's room. The library was much warmer than the last time I visited so I lazily walked around to explore.

I ran my fingers along the books as I wandered between the tall shelves. The library had books from all the corners of the world and included some which were written by humans. There were books on all the mythical creatures, their histories, their practices, beliefs and even their ways of living.

But among the thousands of books that littered my way only a particular section of the library caught my attention. On one of the shelves at the corner most part of the library was written in gold ' Gods and goddesses'.

I couldn't understand why I was so intrigued with this section because this wasn't the first time I was visiting a library. I had seen tons of books on gods and goddesses before and had even gone through a few of them. There was nothing new about the same old Greek or Roman or Egyptian or other gods but I could feel something luring me towards these golden coloured books.

I meticulously eyed every book as I passed through but nothing caught my attention out of the ordinary. So without much further interest I turned my back on the remaining books and planned to escape before anyone caught me. This part of the library was forbidden to visit.

I was still trying to figure out why they would forbid anyone from reading the books on these shelves till my eyes landed on an odd book. The pitch black covers stood out from among the golden ones so without my thought I quickly got on my knees to pull out the big book.

The book was older than time itself so it scared me slightly to even place the book on the floor. Despite the pricking sensation that the book brought upon first touch I placed the book on my laps as I leaned back against the shelf.

In deep golden hues were the words
' The Mourning Goddess ' written.

The name ' Selene ' was also written underneath it.

I skimmed my fingers along the rim of the pages and flipped a random page. The writings were all in Greek that much I knew but somehow it felt familiar to me and I couldn't understand why. I didn't speak Greek nor did I ever take it in school.