28. Goodbye old friend

"Need a hand?" A man asks as he helps to hold the beam that was placed to high for me.
"Thanks. I didn't realise I was so short" I say and he smiles.
"Maybe your shrinking" risk suggests as he takes advantage of the situation.
"Haha. I'm not a grandma" I say crossing my arms.
"Can you cut that wood?" Rick asks pointing.
"Whatever chief" I say saluting as I start cutting.
"Hold on I'll be right back" rick says after a few minutes before running off to catch up with deanna.

I glance over to rose to see her quickly getting up and runs over with lucky trying to trip her up.
"Thea! I think luckys trying to kill me!" She shouts.
"Why's that?" I ask with a smirk.
"She keeps trying to make me fall on my face" she says with a lot of hand movements.
"Does she?" I ask and she nods.
"Well then maybe you shouldn't run while holding her new favourite chew toy" I say pointing at the stick in roses hand.
She nods before throwing it towards rick.
I look over to see them all looking up at the sky.

"Oh god" I mumble while jogging over to him and looking up.
"Balloons?" I question.
"It's glenn! It's has to be!" Maggie shouts and I nod before looking back.
I stare in horror as the crumbling church outside the walls gives in and breaks the wall.

"Rose!" I shout grabbing her hand and whistling for lucky to follow.
She sobs as I drag her down the street and away from the walkers as Rick gives the command for everyone to hide on their homes.

"Rose! Where's may and Liam?!" I shout as we still run.
She stays silent as I still drag her down the street. Suddenly I stop and grab her shoulders making her look at me.
"Where is Liam and may?!" I ask again.
"H-home!" She shouts and I start running bound for home.

I get their and notice the two on the stairs as they stare at the hord.
"In! now!" I command pushing them in.
"Lock every door and make sure the windows are locked! Draw the curtains and turn off any noise or light! Go!" I shout as they run off.

"Rose. Listen to me! You need to be silent! Okay?" I ask and she nods.
"Okay" I mumble locking the front door and pushing the sofa against it.
"That's not gonna hold" I mumble as the body's start to bash the door.
"May! Liam!" I shout and in seconds their by my side.

"Grab food. Rose go up stairs and go to the room as far away from the stairs as possible. Take the food in their!" I shout and they nod going to their tasks.
I feel lucky rub herself against my leg and I smile down at her as I grab my machetes in each hand.
"Me and you? We stand. Like we always have" I whisper as I kiss her head.
A part of me believes this will be my last night. But the kids are my priority.

"Hey! If the walkers come before me, you close the door and block it" I tell may and she nods sadly before running up stairs.
"Come on. We can do this" I mumble getting into stance as the door gives way and the sofa moves.
I begin slicing. Trying to build up the bodies, lucky slows them down enough for me to take.
It's not long till they start to surround us and I signal lucky to the stairs.

Then my heart stops.
One simple mark could mess up a life.
I glance along luckys fur and saw blood pouring from her leg.
A bite mark.
"Shit" I grumble as I pick her up and put her over my shoulder as I retreat up stairs and to the room.
I put her down gently before slamming the wardrobe across the door and putting the bed against it.

"Oh no" may mumble noticing the mark.
I feel tears pool from my eyes as I feel the pure fear of turning to the scene. But I have to put her out her misery. Before the blood lose kills her.
I turn as may strokes her fur. Liam is holding onto her shoulder as support and rose is in the corner crying, probably hasn't even noticed lucky yet.

"I-I need you to get all the cloths and t-tie them together for rope. We can't s-stay here" I stutter as may nods and gose to the drawer with her brother.
"I'm so sorry baby girl" I whisper collapsing next to lucky as she starts whimpering.
"Cant we save her!" May shouts pacing and ignoring my commands.
"She's lost too much blood. I-I think the monster hit an artery" I stutter as the pool of blood grows bigger.
Her breathing becomes more ragid as I put her head on my lap.