36. The eve of war

Daryl ended up leading me back to the archery range before dinner.
The king still requested we joined him but I denied it knowing that if I didn't he would ask questions about my diet.

I watch a couple kids run around as Daryl watched Richards archery skills.
"Gonna have to learn. Cant have a gun on me when they are around" Richard explains drawing me into the conversation.

"Morgan mentioned that your both bowman"
"Woman" I correct.
He picks up and cross bow and signals for Daryl to take it.
Slowly he takes it and looks down the aim before turning back to Richard.
"Why are ya helping us?" He asks.

"Because we both want the same thing. Negan gone" Richard replies.
"Besides your our guests now. Ezekiel has told me to provide you with cloths and food, here" he says handing us some bread from his bag and pointing.
"Cloths will be over their" he says.

"I'm gonna go find something different to wear" I say signalling down to my shorts and top.
"Alright" Daryl says giving my hand a small tug.

"Actually I was wondering if I could show Daryl something outside the wall" Richard says and I chuckle.
"I'm not his mom, you don't have to ask. Just make sure your both safe okay?" I ask and they nod.
"Okay. I'll see you later" I say walking off with a wave.

I got to the cloths stall and the man asks what size I was.
"I'm 8 in tops and 10 in bottoms?" I reply shyly.
"See Susan this is someone I could work with. She's polite" he shouts at a woman that flips him off and goes back to her stall.
"This way sweetheart" he says leading me to a table of cloths.

"These are the tops and coats in you size. Over their is the trousers. Do tell me if you have trouble and I'll be right over okay?" He asks.
"Okay" I smile as he walks away.
I decide grab a long sleeve white top before going to the trouser benching knowing that the shorts are a no no.

I pick up a pair of dark green kneeless trousers and went over to the accessory's table.
I grab a knife belt and a pair of fingerless gloves to go with it.
I go around the corner and into a dark alleyway to change before going back to the man.

"Is this okay?" I ask him as he whips around.
"It's perfect! I take it your a fighter" he says pointing at the gloves.
"Yeah you can say that" I nod.
"would you mind if I did your hair?" He asks giddy to grab it.

"Um. No not at all" I say as he grabs a hair brush and starts brushing it out.
"What would you like?"
"Surprise me" I answer and he jumps in joy.
"Do you mind if I cut it?"
"No that would probably be for the best. Don't want the dead grabbing it" I explain and he nods grabbing the scissors.

He cuts my long hair to just below my shoulders before doing a french plait on the side of my head.
"Thank you this is wonderful" I say and he nods.
"Could you expect any less?" He asks.
"Oh shut up Steve! Sorry his ego is too big for this world" Susan shouts.
I laugh as he shakes his head sadly.
"Ignore her. She doesn't understand the word: kind" he says.

"Well um what do I owe you? I mean this isn't free right?" I ask.
"All new comers get to choose a pair of new cloths" he says and I nod.
"I'm not sure how long I'll be here though" I say.
"You staying the night?" I nod.

"Then your a guest and guests have free cloths. And all fighters get to choose a weapon. Most choose long ranged stuff but you've gone with the knife belt so I'm guessing your a knife girl" he says opening a box of weapons.
"I'm actually a bow and arrow girl" I say and he nods.

"I'll have to ask king Ezekiel on that one but I'm sure it'll be fine" he says.
"Where is the king? I need to press him on a matter" I say and he shrugs.
"Probably in the main building somewhere. You can request an audience but he is a busy man" he says and I nod.
"Thank you for this Steve" I say and he nods.
"Just doing what I can" he mumbles closing the box as I disappear.