Chapter Nineteen (birthday party)

"I'm proud of you," my dad says smiling at me, I smile back at him. Those are not words that my dad says often to his children. So when he does it's the highest honor you can get from him.

"Thanks," I say and sip my mocha from Starbucks. "I can't believe we won," I keep up the conversation.

Today is Friday the day of the first mathletes contest. We won today mostly because of Kent he's a freaking genius, but I did answer a question and I got it right. So after it ended dad mom and I stopped at Starbucks letting me get coffee the most beautiful substance in the world.

"You did amazing," my mom smiles at me, "that Kent, the captain right? Well anyway he's really smart. Are you two friends?"

"Yes," I answer, "in fact we been studying together all week,"

"He did seem nice," my dad says.

I remember Kent running up to me and my family after the contest he smiled at me and introduced himself to my parents, then just like he would started to go off all about a chemistry project we had together.

"So?" I say pulling my thoughts away from Kent, "tomorrow is you anniversary what are you planning?"

"Well your mother and I are going to stay the night out of town like the last few years, well be back by Monday,"

"That's what I thought," I smile and sip my coffee.

● ● ■ ● ●

The next morning I woke up at eleven o'clock, tierd and happy a part of me couldn't believe how much my life had changed in seven days one week. Trevor and I haven't spoken since Monday and I also have gained two new friends who are quite crazy. Emit and Fred both love star trek with a passio, Kent likes it but hes in love with super heros.

I get out of bed today I don't have anything planned. But thanks to three years of Emily in the mornings I'm dressed and ready to go anywhere or nowhere by eleven - thirty.

"Carmen?" Ashley calls from down stairs.

"Yes," I call back.

"A friend from school is here to see you."

Who? Fred, Emit, Kent? My heart does a weird flutter at the thought of Kent. I hope it's him. Kent and I have been spending a lot of time together recently since Monday I have been at his house every day to study for the mathletes competition. I can't help but feel a little sad about it being over the-mathleets competition. I know Kent well still won't to tutor me, but not as much.

My parents were worried that I wasn't eating this last week since I've been eating with Kent's brother, Joe and his girlfriend, Chantelle. In the end I won the argument and mom and dad trust that I've been eating, and yes I have been eating Chantelle is great cook.

I walk down stairs, "who is it--?" I stop mid sentence and stare at Trevor Truehart. My stomach feel queasy and my throat tightens. No, I think, not my own home, he can't be here.

"Hello Carmen," He says his voice calm and kind, "this week there's been a lot of mistakes, and I've come to apologize."

"No," I say trying to sound confidant, "leave now,"

"Carmen . . . " says Ashley interjecting to the conversation.

I turn to head up the stairs, but am stopped by a firm grip on my shoulder. Ashley looks at me then bits her lip, "Trevor told me, how you and Emily got in a fight about a fight you had with him. He's come here to make peace with you just hear him out."