Something Better

Ricky 

"Are we still on for the movie tonight?" I asked Rae, through the phone. 

"Of course." she replied.  

"What we gon' see?" I asked her, knowing she gon' choose some sentimental flick.  

"Ummmm how about Black and White?" She suggested. I chuckled to myself.  

"What's so funny?" She asked.  
"Nothing. I just already knew you was gon' choose that movie." I explained.  

"Well anyways. There's a showing at 7:45pm. I'll be ready at 6:45." She told me.  

"Alright. I'll be there. Take care, baby." I told her.  

"You too, Schmoopie. I'll see you later." She said, making me smile.  

      Its been about six months since my mom's funeral. It gets easier as the days go on. I dont think I'll ever fully get over though.    

      Rae has been helping by being super supportive. We decided not to rush back into a super close relationship. We realized that we needed to be able to stand alone. Instead we're starting over. Yes, we're dating. We decided that we'd only move in with each other if we get married. Right now, I don't know if thats in our plans. I would like to hope that it is but, if not I'll deal with it. 

----------- 

I admired the inside of Rae's apartment as I waited for her to finish getting ready for our date. Rae had a whole wall dedicated to family pictures. I walked over to the wall to get a closer look. She definitely had some throwbacks on the wall. She had one of her, Terrell, Sammie, and myself at my mom's dance studio. We were so young back then. We had no idea what life had in store for us.  

     I continued to look at the wall and noticed that at the center there was a lotta pictures of Rae and I. I cheesed when I saw a picture of Rae and I kissing, the night of the proposal.  

"I'm ready." Rae announced as she walked into the livingroom. Even though Rae never showed signs of aging, she definitely looked like a teenager.  

      She had on a black and white Nike hoodie, some black skinny jeans and her Taxis. It made her look younger than usual.  

"Why you tryna dress like me?" she asked me, looking down at my feet. I forgot I was wearing my Taxis too.  

"If I recall, I was dressed first."  I said with a laugh.  

"Whatever!" She said with a giggle.  

"Take  a picture with me, baby." I said grabbing her around her waist and walking us toward her floor length mirror on the door.  

I snapped a picture and posted it to Snapchat with the caption, "Her fly match my fly".  

"Come on Schmoopie. We gon' miss the movie." Rae whined, pulling me toward the door.  

Once I turned on my car I Don't Mind by Usher started to blare from my speakers and Rae immediately turned it down.  

"Ayyyeee what you doing? I like that song!" I protested.   

"We not listening to that." she said. 

"What's wrong with that song, babe?" I asked.  

"What's right with it?" she asked. "You know you would mind if I was a stripper."  

I thought about it for a second.

"You right." I said with a chuckle.  

"Exactly." she said, switching the song to 7/11 by Beyonce'.