Love Means to Support

Reagan

“Rae, we need to finalize the color scheme for the wedding so, that we can start getting the wedding invitations ready.” My mom said to me as I sat in the living room of their house. I was currently twisting Sunni’s hair. I nodded my head absentmindedly. The wedding was the last thing on my mind. I just wasn’t feeling the way I thought I would when planning my wedding.

“Ooh Rae! Can I be one of you bridesmaids?” Sunni asked, slightly turning her head to face me.

“Of course you can, hun.” I responded to her with the best smile I could muster.

                As I finished twisting the rest of Sunni’s hair, I could feel my mom staring at me. Knowing that she could see right through me, I mentally prepared myself for our upcoming mommy/daughter talk.

“Alrighty, I’m all done.” I said to Sunni after twisting her final twist.

“Thanks Rae.” She said, kissing me on the cheek.

“No problem, Sunshine.” I said to her as she ran off to her room. I grabbed the comb, brush, and curling gel that I used and put them back in the downstairs bathroom where I got them from.

“Come ride with me to the store, Rae.” My mom said to me when I walked back into the living room.

“Ok.” I said, grabbing my jacket before following her out the door.

------

“Now, Rae I need you to tell me what’s wrong. Ever since you’ve came back from Chicago, you’ve been a watered down version of yourself. Your shine is not there anymore. You don’t dance like you used to and you’re not in the least way excited about planning your wedding. Now I wasn’t going to say anything. I was gonna let time pass and hope that it was just a phase. But a month later you’re still the same. What’s wrong, baby girl?” she asked me.

                Tears burned the back of my eyes as I stared out the car window as she drove down the highway towards the beach. Everything she said was true. My feet haven’t touched a dance floor since the blow up with Anthony. My desire to dance was slowly fizzling away. I didn’t have the guts to talk to anyone about it anyone.

                I let out a sigh as my mom pulled into the parking lot of Dockwieler Beach.

“Are you ready to talk, hun?” my mom asked me gently.  I nodded my head in response before I spoke.

“It’s just not the same anymore, ma. I didn’t want to give up that opportunity with Anthony. That was my one dream in life. I idolized Anthony.” I confessed to her.

“Then why did you give up the opportunity?” she asked me.