Chapter 10: Death Isn't Done Yet

Donnie looked back at Brandon, who was barely conscious. Donnie called out to him, and he barely moved- if at all. Donnie went to the front of his unit and tried to open it again- bruising their arms in the process.

"I'm here, Brandon- I found you," Donnie said, almost whispering. They saw Brandon's mouth twitch slightly and sighed in relief. "I'm gonna get you out of here, Darling."

Donnie rushed back to the computer and tried to open the containment unit- to no avail. They tried and tried again, getting the same result.

The ground beneath the building shook, causing the building to rattle. Leo flew in and grabbed Donnie by their arm.

"We're leaving now," Leo demanded, starting to drag Donnie along.

Donnie dug their heels down, breaking tiles as they broke away from Leo's grasp.

"No- he's still alive!" Donnie called as they went back to the unit, trying to get it open. Leo stopped Donnie from hitting it again so they wouldn't get hurt.

"The building is collapsing- the northern side has already fallen. We have to go now," Leo demanded.

He started leaving, expecting Donnie to be following him.

"No," Donnie said. Leo looked back.

"What?" Leo asked, looking at his sibling.

"No. I'd rather die thinking I saved him than live knowing I didn't."

Donnie and Leo stared at each other.

"What is wrong with you today?" Leo asked. "Why are you so into saving him?"

"Because I have morals. I know you do, too, Leo, so let me act on mine," Donnie said.

Leo's eyes widened, then softened.

"Stay safe. I'd rather have my sibling alive."

With that, Leo left the lab as the southern end of the building collapsed.

♦️♦️♦️

Brandon heard the conversation between Leo and Donnie. To say he was shocked was an understatement.

Donnie had never defied their oldest brother.

♦️♦️♦️

Mikey almost cried when Leo came back alone.

"Where's Donnie!" Mikey screamed at Leo when he approached them.

"There's one more kid in there- Brandon, was it? Donnie would rather die thinking that Brandon was alive rather than live knowing Brandon was dead."

"And you let him?" Raph asked.

"How could I not?" Leo asked. "I'd do the same thing."

"But the other side of the building collapsed as you left! Donnie could die!" Raph said.